Can an adult cat and young rabbit become friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryosin

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are moving in together soon, I have a 6 month old bunny and he has a 4 year old cat. How do I go about introducing them? It’s a 1 bedroom apartment so there isn’t too much space! Does anyone have any experience with having a cat and a rabbit?

I have a cat and quite a few rabbits. It really depends on the cat though, Being a predator. My cat is a very nice loving cat, who never scratches or bites people. Although I have a very dominant rabbit, I put cat and rabbit together and the rabbit started to attack the cat. Try having the rabbit in a contained place (cage) at first so the cat can get used to the rabbit. (If you are planning to free range rabbit inside)

Congrats on moving in together! I personally have an adult cat (5 years old) and a baby bunny. The introduction went just fine for me. Here's what I did.

I held my bunny in my lap and in my arms for about 20 minutes or so, seated in a chair, while also petting my cat on the ground. I'd pet the bunny and then let my cat sniff my hand. When she didn't show immense interest, I moved to sit on the ground and held my bunny in my hands (fully supported) and let my cat sniff the bunny's back and ears. She was small enough to where my hands still covered most of her; she was safe at all times. My cat sniffed and then lost interest. When the bunny was in her pen the cat would sniff at her through the bars. Sometimes I'd wipe bunny down with a tissue and give the tissue to the cat. After about a week, I gauged that the cat was fine with her and let her (bunny) have a run on the couch while I was there. The cat jumped up, sniffed at her (all beside me), and the bunny sniffed her back! Now the bunny LOVES my cat and my cat couldn't care less. :p

🥰
My fluffy fuzzer went missing when he was 1 1/2 and I didn't get him back till almost 4 years later 😲.
When I did, I had had my first girl for a yr already because I never thought I'd get my feline back.
I worked 10hr work days and was super worried about leaving them alone (my bun was a freerun house bun) so I'd keep my feline in my bedroom when I went to work because I had not idea what he survived on all that time he was missing. (Many many abandoned buns where I lived so who knows)
On my weekends I'd leave the door open to my bedroom, as well as every time I got home from being out, so they could interact and get to know each other. That was 4 years ago. I've had him back now for r as long as he was missing and my first girl passed 2 yrs ago. I got the boys a new girl a year ago and now, this is my happy crew 🥰💞🥰

I fully believe that the animals have a special truce, an understanding of sort. . As if they feel "We are brought to live here together and our person gives us the same love,life and respect, so we too shall respect, live and love"

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_155737246.jpg
    IMG_20200705_155737246.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back