Can a rabbit pass cat food if they eat hay and drink water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
My rabbit ate some cat food. The cat food was closed but as usual someone always opens it and never closes it. Typical. I’m not sure how many he ate I was going to go check up on him cause he was sleeping and then next thing I know he’s eating the cat food. I quickly snatched him and put him to eat hay. Will he be fine if he continues to eat hay and drink water?
Edit: He’s still eating hay and the cat food was of fish. Specifically salmon. How many bits would be too too much? He’s only 5 months and two weeks. He’s about 5-10 pounds.

Last edited:
He’s acting pretty normal so far except I do notice two egg shaped poo’s. No small poo’s though. Just those two eggs shaped poo’s. Let’s say say he ate 4-5 pieces would he be fine? What if he ate 6-9 pieces of cat food? Would I have to take him to the vet? If I see any signs could I take him tomorrow? But it has to be ASAP?

Its just cat food he will be fine. Maybe some GI upset but youre already doing the right thing
Is there something else I should do besides hay and water? I fed him some dandelion leaves cause I know it helps with digestion in rabbits. That was a while ago and he’s doing pretty good. Normal poops now.. If it’s gonna upset his tummy should I buy like gas drops or something else?

Gas drops would be good to have on hand in your first aid kit anyway. But you dont need to give medication unless its actually needed.
The less you stress over him the better.
Its just cat food. Dont leave it within reach regardless of it being accidentally left open

Gas drops would be good to have on hand in your first aid kit anyway. But you dont need to give medication unless its actually needed.
The less you stress over him the better.
Its just cat food. Dont leave it within reach regardless of it being accidentally left open
Right. Thank you.

Make sure he eats, drinks, and poops. It should be out of his system in less than 24 hours. Hopefully it doesn't upset the balance of his gut bacteria.

Latest posts

Back