Can a bunny hold of giving birth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniebinky

Reaction score
Hi

my rabbit is currently pregnant. Her mood has changed My once sweet girl barley wants to be pet. She also has starting nesting on Tuesday (4ish days ago) but she has since destroyed her nest and instead dug holes in her area.
She seems to be very agitated and constantly digging and lying down (flopped) asleep for hours. Is this normal?

she also has layed Off the food and isn’t as hungry, I’m not sure what date of pregnancy she’s on! All I know is that I felt little kicks when I hand my hand on her belly. Would this because she’s near due date? Or can she “hold” in the babies ? (This is her first litter by the way)

Sounds normal. Digging is an instinct, in nature they would dig nesting tunnels right now,. That she lost appetite can be a sign that it can't be long anymore, also that she tires and flopps more, I've seen that 1-2 days before kindling.
Give her lots of hay and privacy, but keep checking on her now and then.

I would restrict her to an area with the nestbox, and no tunnels now, I keep mine in their hutch when the time comes.

All day yesterday and today she was flopping down all day so hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning is the day !

You can prepare a basic one for her out of hay and maybe a little fur (don't use up all your stock, it may be useful later) if you have some from brushing etc., and show her the nestbox by shoving her in there (and retreat right away to give her time to think about it). Just leave enough room that she can carry in more hay and fur when the instincts kick in.

Latest posts

Back