Can a bunny eat only fresh vegetables and be OK?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelia_Eva

Reaction score
My bunny does not want to eat hay. I took her to the vet and they could not find anything wrong with her.
Can a bunny live well eating only fresh vegetables?
If this is the case, how much vegetables per day she needs? She is 6 lb.
Finally, what type of fresh vegetables will give her all the nutrients she needs?
Thank you all!

Have you tried different types of hay/grass? We had good luck with orchard grass for those not interested in hay.

Trying to give a rabbit a well rounded diet using only veggies can be difficult, but is possible. You need to research the nutrients they need and then find veggies that satisfy those requirements. It’s easier to give them a good quality pellet to help with their diet requirements and then supplement with veggies.

Bunnies absolutely need hay not only for the fiber and other nutrients, but also to wear down their teeth. Hay absolutely needs to be at least 70% of the bunny's diet.

I understand that some bunnies are not big on hay, but I would try a different grass hay until you find one they like. Dental problems are sadly very common in bunnies over 2 years, and a major cause is not eating enough hay.

For many rabbits, hay is the least preferred food, and just like a parent teaching a child, it can take a lot of time and finessing to get a more picky rabbit to eat hay. My rabbit used to need a dental grinding once per month until he came to eat more hay (thank goodness), but it definitely took tweaking on my end to figure out what I needed to do to get him there. If dental/eating issues are cleared, I think looking more closely about how hay is being presented may shed light on some areas of improvement.

When you've tried getting her to eat hay, what's the layout been like? Where do you put it, how often is it out, how often is it changed, and how often are non-hay foods available when the hay is out (i.e. how much time does she only have access to hay)?

thank you all for your comments. Thanks majorv for the idea to do some research into nutrients.

My question is to better "survive a situation" until I find a good vet that can help us. This is temporary.

My bun used to eat hay then decreased the amount. Rather than waiting to see how things developed, I took her to the vet. This was a vet with good reputation and lot of experience. The vet trimmed her teeth and hurt my bunny in the process.

It has been a very hard experience for my baby. I am taking her to see a professor soon since the vets in my city have not been able to help. I have the feeling that she developed an abscess from the badly done teeth trimming.

Since this started, I have been syringe feeding her. However, since she eats some fresh vegetables. I wanted to see which ones could provide her with the most nutrients.

Thanks all for your help and pray for a fast recovery for my baby!

Latest posts

Back