Can a bunny and puppy bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! My family just got a 7 week old golden retriever puppy, and I'd like if I could still free roam my rabbit without having to lock the puppy up, or vice versa. Is there a way to bond a puppy and bunny, or at least get them to be alright with each other? Has anyone ever done this?

It's going to be harder because it's still a puppy and hasn't learned discipline. You'll have to work with it and never allow it to try and play with your rabbit the way that puppies play(pouncing, chewing, rough, etc). The puppy basically needs to learn to respect your rabbits place in the home and leave the rabbit alone, except for calm supervised(always) interactions.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/rabbits-with-dogs.html

I have two very large (over 100 pounds) German Shepherd/Husky dogs. They both shower my bun with kisses, but they can kill my bun just by stepping on him. My bun gets out into a "gated" living room for a few hours everyday. And then he gets about 1 1/2 hours of snuggles every night. I just can't risk him being loose 24/7. He has a huge 2 story outside bunny house thats in my living room. I wish I could have him free roam, but the other animals prevent me from doing that. I hope it works for you. With one dog you may be able to do it. Good luck!

When my first bunny Bandit was around, every once in awhile we’d have to take care of my grandmother’s overweight beagle when she went out of state for a week or two. Although “Sassy” was a hunting dog breed, she’d mostly just sleep while our dwarf hotot mix bopped around.

Sometime when the dog was on her side completely asleep, Bandit would start jumping over her. It was hilarious to watch but that dog in particular had no prey drive and was lazy and easygoing (except about escaping through the door and running toward the road 😓). Each dog is different so you need to monitor their personality while taking their breed into account to make sure the bunny is safe. Some dogs have huge prey drives and others don’t, while some can have their prey drives trained and channeled to where the only chase squirrels or chipmunks (cars, etc.) outside and everything indoors is their “friend.”

5DF9355E-756C-44E4-A6B1-71B1BADA414B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back