Can a 5 year old male rabbit produce?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a question for you my friend has a five year old male bunny that has never produced a litter she wants to get female companion for him but was worried about her getting pregnant. Is this a possibility if he has never produced?

Yes, I believe that it is possible. The best trying to do, no matter if he can or can’t reproduce, is to get them both fixed and wait 8 weeks before bonding. Unfixed rabbits will almost always fight (with the exception of two females who may or may not).

Those instincts are hardwired, he will do what rabbits do.

Well, unfixed rabbits don't always fight, they are social animals by nature, that isn't snipped into them. Hormones can make things difficult, and two intact males almost never get along. But I have two pairs of intact does and let the buck live with one pair for 3 weeks (or as long as it takes) in spring.
An intact buck can stretch a spayed does patience to the breaking point (I have that pairing as free roam house bunnys), so it depends on the individual characters if it works or not.

It must be said that neutering and spaying them makes life a lot easier for pet owners, I even considered having Herr Hase neutered because of frequent "accidents" in times when his brain was drained of blood, and I felt sorry for Dotty, but then he got athrosis.

Latest posts

Back