Can’t cut his nails. Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemosher

Reaction score
So, my sweet boy is about a year and 1 month old and I can’t clip his nails. They clip them at the vet when he goes in for check ups but I can’t clip them myself. I feel like I should try because it’s been awhile and I don’t want him to get hurt but I’m struggling! My husband won’t help and my kids aren’t any help either. The plus side is, I can flip him over and do that bunny hypnosis thing. He loves being in his back and doesn’t even move, but I can’t see his quick. His nails are jet black and I don’t know how to see through them so I don’t hurt him. Any advice would be amazing! Thanks!

I would recommend a flash light! It’s good he is still.. so you have two hands? Use the clippers in your good hand and the flashlight in the other and shine it through:) then you should be able to see some red! Hope it works!!!

I used to have a super hard time clipping Theo's nails because my siblings and parents won't help and he has dark nails. After I saw this video everything changed and now trimming his nails is so easy! The "press, press, clip" method works perfectly!

I would recommend a flash light! It’s good he is still.. so you have two hands? Use the clippers in your good hand and the flashlight in the other and shine it through:) then you should be able to see some red! Hope it works!!!
Well even when he’s in hypnosis mode he tends to wake up if I’m not stroking his ears so I’m nervous the second I free up my other hand for the flashlight he’ll flip over and won’t let me do anything. I would also need 2 hands to just clip his nails, let alone hold the flashlight so I guess, any thoughts on how to get the clippers and flashlight and one hand so my other hands free to hold his paw? Lol... so annoying. I want to avoid wrapping him in a towel if I can. My last bunny hated it and it stressed him out so much. Thanks!

I used to have a super hard time clipping Theo's nails because my siblings and parents won't help and he has dark nails. After I saw this video everything changed and now trimming his nails is so easy! The "press, press, clip" method works perfectly!

Those two have some really great rabbit videos, haven't seen one yet I would disagree with. I'm going to try as shown, just need to get clippers first.
Only my boy needs clipping soon, doesn't hop and dig enough anymore due to his athrosis :(

Well even when he’s in hypnosis mode he tends to wake up if I’m not stroking his ears so I’m nervous the second I free up my other hand for the flashlight he’ll flip over and won’t let me do anything. I would also need 2 hands to just clip his nails, let alone hold the flashlight so I guess, any thoughts on how to get the clippers and flashlight and one hand so my other hands free to hold his paw? Lol... so annoying. I want to avoid wrapping him in a towel if I can. My last bunny hated it and it stressed him out so much. Thanks!
I would bunny burrito him, also make sure when you pet him you pet his paws so he gets used to it

There are some nail clippers that have a mini LED equipped, so they turn on and shine at the clipper end! One of my rabbits has mainly black nails, and typically I just clip his nails once a month and only take off a small amount. I know some people are very keen on clipping as close to the quick as possible, which absolutely makes sense, but that's a lot of pressure for me! While I can't always see the quick reliably on every nail, I can gauge how much to clip based on the first successful clip.

Those two have some really great rabbit videos, haven't seen one yet I would disagree with. I'm going to try as shown, just need to get clippers first.
Only my boy needs clipping soon, doesn't hop and dig enough anymore due to his athrosis :(
Thanks for this! I have watched some of those videos before. Not this one, but others. She is knowledgeable. I’ll give it a try. Hopefully he doesn’t scratch me. Fingers crossed.

There are some nail clippers that have a mini LED equipped, so they turn on and shine at the clipper end! One of my rabbits has mainly black nails, and typically I just clip his nails once a month and only take off a small amount. I know some people are very keen on clipping as close to the quick as possible, which absolutely makes sense, but that's a lot of pressure for me! While I can't always see the quick reliably on every nail, I can gauge how much to clip based on the first successful clip.
Yes. I’m still trying to figure out what kind of rabbit my Nemo is, but I think he’s a Havana. He has black nails too and they make me so nervous. My late Mini Rex had nice grey see through nails with an easy to see quick but his nails are so hard to judge, it makes me so nervous. I have seen the LED lights before. Maybe worth investing in?

Just take off an itsy bit often so that the quick keeps retracting. Is the quick retracting an actual thing? I have heard it but am not 100% certain if that's an actual thing. Worth a shot anyway. I got so stressed when I used to trim my bunnies nails! But I thankfully haven't had to trim my FGs nails yet. That would be a mission!😂 My bunnies dig around all day now so that wears down their nails enough for me not to have to worry.

Yes it’s a thing, you’re right. I witnessed it happen with my last rabbit. His nails were super long and the quick was right there at the tip which made it hard to give him a proper trim. so I started cutting his nails more frequently (about every 2 weeks) and in a few months the quick was barely noticeable, and his nails were always very short and I never had to worry about the quick. It’s a good technique for long term so I will definitely be doing that after this but for now I just want his nails as short as I can get them you know. They’re pretty long because I’ve been terrified to even try to cut them. I have quick stop just in case but it still sucks and I feel so bad when I cut the quick. It’s like us getting a hang nail and ripping it off and having it bleed. It stings and hurts and I hate doing that to any of my pets. :(

When you pinch the clippers down on the nail, if your at the quick the bunny will jerk the foot away--just apply a little pressure and if there is no reaction, continue with the cutting. White nails are so much easier but after 50 rescues you learn how to--had the vet tech show me how as we had 17 to do so it was not affordable to have them done every other month. Also keep some styptic powder handy just in case. I tried to use my dremel with a sanding disc but the noise was not greatly appreciated.

So, my sweet boy is about a year and 1 month old and I can’t clip his nails. They clip them at the vet when he goes in for check ups but I can’t clip them myself. I feel like I should try because it’s been awhile and I don’t want him to get hurt but I’m struggling! My husband won’t help and my kids aren’t any help either. The plus side is, I can flip him over and do that bunny hypnosis thing. He loves being in his back and doesn’t even move, but I can’t see his quick. His nails are jet black and I don’t know how to see through them so I don’t hurt him. Any advice would be amazing! Thanks!
I haven't clipped my Cinnabun yet, but I clip my dogs nails. I only clip 1/4 of an inch off at a time. Then I try to do this every two weeks.
I'm with you on the bunny. I don't have any help. If you can do it yourself, just clip a small amount. If they still look long, clip again every week until there short enough.
When I stated I did clip one of the dogs to short.
I also keep on hand, that stuff that stops bleeding.

Attachments

• 20210203_223552~2.jpg
    20210203_223552~2.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 1
It is not at all a great idea to lay your bun on his back, especially since you say he needs to be distracted with petting, still. They may look calm like that but it is not really appreciated by them. Usually they will kick out, twist, bite, whatever-shows their obvious displeasure.

Storm (darker lop on pfp) is a hard fellow to cut nails with, when we first went to the vets his nails were long and sharp and he was super fussy. Took the vet, his helper and me to somewhat hold Storm steady enough for a quick trim and we all ended up scratched.
He's calmed his temper a little bit (neutered and a fulll adult) but we still have a hassle with it. Usually my dad is able to help with it, but sometimes not.
The way we do it is as follows:
see when our boy is in a good mood, preferrably during high noon, when he would just be falling asleep.( I like to believe that he is a bit too sleepy to protest as much. I won't even try when he's zippy and hooky from his energy spurts.)
Entice him with some pellets or vegs for additional calm (he's not that fond of me)
gently roll him to his side, applying mild pressure near his shoulders w super spread out fingers to more evenly distribute the weight, the same goes for the hip area. Always mindful to be gentle so that he would feel least amount of discomfort
The other pair of hands will try and clip his nails, being careful to keep all and any appendages away from his face. He bites strong and is not happy in the slightest.
We do one foot at a time, letting him calm down and recieve a small treat in between. if we're not so lucky, it will happen between every two nails or so.
If Storm decides that enough is enough, and will not calm down enough, we ain't pushing it. Better luck next time.

He does have half-translucent nails though, so it is not so hard. I could not imagine a big bunch of sass like him having black nails. THAT would be a nightmare.
I hope that my experience may be of some use to you :)

I haven't clipped my Cinnabun yet, but I clip my dogs nails. I only clip 1/4 of an inch off at a time. Then I try to do this every two weeks.
I'm with you on the bunny. I don't have any help. If you can do it yourself, just clip a small amount. If they still look long, clip again every week until there short enough.
When I stated I did clip one of the dogs to short.
I also keep on hand, that stuff that stops bleeding.
Yea. I cut my cats nails all the time too. They have see through nails though so it makes it much easier. I’ll cut a little back and so from there I guess. Thanks. Your Cinnabun is so cute btw!

Hi! Usually what I do is just clip the tip of nail that’s sharp. I’m not sure if that was any help but I just look really closely and make sure I’m not going too far. My rabbit has both black and white or clear nails.

Have you tried using a dremel? I use a dremel on all of my animals. Even the rabbits actually tolerate it pretty well. That way you don't have to worry about clipping the quick.

Have you tried using a dremel? I use a dremel on all of my animals. Even the rabbits actually tolerate it pretty well. That way you don't have to worry about clipping the quick.
Grinding rabbits' nails is not recommended, can make the nails brittle.

Latest posts

Back