Can’t tell if my young rabbit is pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke0924

Reaction score
My girl rabbit is about six months old and I’ve noticed she seems like she is either licking or pulling for from the other female rabbit I have could she have possibly be pregnant I keep her separate from the male but I have put them together and left them for a few minutes so they know each other

Did you watch them the whole time, every second? Did they mate?
If yes/no - not pregnant.
If no/don't know -> it could be, only way to tell for sure is wait one month after last time you made that mistake, and be prepared no matter what.
If yes/yes -> Congratulations, quite likely you'll be wading knee deep in baby bunnys soon :D

It also depends on the buck, some figure out quickly what to do, my new buck needed 3 weeks with the girls.

Anyway, it sounds more like a social interaction, like grooming, or if tufts of fur are flying and some chasing is involved it's more about establishing their hierachy. Evil eye, humping, short chases and occassional tufts of fur can be quite normal - but make sure you give them places to retreat to, options to go out of each others eyes (each of my pairs has 2 hutches, connected with a tunnel, or at least high shelfs and hidy houses). It shouldnt be a constant hassle though.

Then there are false pregnancies with nestbuilding and even plucking fur (their own).

Did you watch them the whole time, every second? Did they mate?
If yes/no - not pregnant.
If no/don't know -> it could be, only way to tell for sure is wait one month after last time you made that mistake, and be prepared no matter what.
If yes/yes -> Congratulations, quite likely you'll be wading knee deep in baby bunnys soon :D

It also depends on the buck, some figure out quickly what to do, my new buck needed 3 weeks with the girls.

Anyway, it sounds more like a social interaction, like grooming, or if tufts of fur are flying and some chasing is involved it's more about establishing their hierachy. Evil eye, humping, short chases and occassional tufts of fur can be quite normal - but make sure you give them places to retreat to, options to go out of each others eyes (each of my pairs has 2 hutches, connected with a tunnel, or at least high shelfs and hidy houses). It shouldnt be a constant hassle though.

Then there are false pregnancies with nestbuilding and even plucking fur (their own).
Thank you it was very helpful but yeah it looks like he was trying but I couldn’t tell if he actually was successful so I’m not really sure

My girl rabbit is about six months old and I’ve noticed she seems like she is either licking or pulling for from the other female rabbit I have could she have possibly be pregnant I keep her separate from the male but I have put them together and left them for a few minutes so they know each other
So you did that intentionally, put 6 mo old female with an unneutered male, what you expect now?
There's breeder forum maybe moderators can move your thread there, but as far as I understood reading RO rules they don't support breeding out of curiosity, maybe I am wrong again but what was the point putting two intact rabbits together and now you are curious if she is pregnant or not and asking in an online forum. Hopefully you did some research on breeding and have your plan A and plan B ready.

Thank you it was very helpful but yeah it looks like he was trying but I couldn’t tell if he actually was successful so I’m not really sure

First, mark the date of their last encounter on the calender, then wait 34 days to be sure. Prepare a nestbox anyway and arrange their quarters so that she can have some privacy there.
Read up on how to care for kindling does and kits.

There's no point in putting intact males and femals together if you don't intend to breed, and as Zuppa said, just multiplying random rabbits without a goal and valid plan about what to do with the offspring (too often it is just made other people problems) is not such a great idea.

Anyway, if you watched them the whole time (every second) and didn't see a fall off (youtube "rabbit fall off"), chances are that she isn't pregnant, but it's not 100% sure. Be prepared anyway, they are induced ovulaters, if he hit the spot he knocked her up.

Latest posts

Back