Calvin Update!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiquita090

Reaction score
Calvin broke a tooth! That's of course not a goodthing but whew, at least he doesn't have a diseased mouth or anything.So yeah, in way or another (your guess's as good as mine) he broke partof a tooth off. From there he got an infection, which inevitably causedthe abscess.

I'M SO HAPPY!! He's still going to need surgery to remove the abscessbut my origanal impression from what the vet said was that he had adisease filled teeth/mouth and that euthenasia was a possibilty...

He's going to stay on the antibiotics until I can get him for surgeryto remove the remaining part of the tooth and root, and at that timethe vet will put in the beads as well. But it's great news! Calvin'sgoing to be ok... :D

YAY!! glad everything is okay! LOL

i love that name too! theres a guy down the street from me who's name is Calvin and hes really hot! LOL

Yeah I saw the same vet...I already had made theappointment and figured taking an x ray is a small procedure so I wentahead with it. I think a big part of why I initially hated that vet somuch was because of the news he gave me at first. He was saying tons ofnegative things about Calvin and it seemed to me like he wasn't evengoing to give him a chance.

He seemed better today, more attentive to my concerns and stuff. Istill don't know that I'm going to take him there for the surgery.Hopefully I can get him into U of Penn Animal Hospital, they're one ofbest if not the best place for bunnies. They charge alot, so other thanfor ER purposes I've taken him to the one I went to today, but this's aserious health issue that I don't think should be left up to the normalvet.

I managed to get a copy of both Calvin and Jordon's medical records sothat I'll have it on hand since I'm planning on switching. I wasn'table to get the x rays on such short notice though.

Since Calvin and I got home this afternoon he's basically just sat inhis cage. He comes out once a while but he's definitely not acting likehis normal self. Is that normal in rabbits after anesthesia?? His fur'snot too clean either, that happens when he's not feeling well. I gavehim his antibiotics and pain reliever like normal. I would think thepain reliever would take care of any discomfort he's having but itdoesn't appear to be helping at all.

The vet told me that I need to get him in for surgery either this weekor next week, next week being the very latest. As of right now theabscess hasn't spread, but it will eventually so the sooner he getssurgery the better. I'm afraid to have him go under anesthesia againthough, if he has a bad reaction to it now then what's going to happennext time?

Any advice?? And oh by the way, prior to today the vet took some bloodand said his blood work came back fine and he was good to go as far assurgery and anesthesia goes. ??

Thank God you acted as fast as you did, Chiquita! :)

Thanks for the happy news. I love happy endings.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back