Callused Hocks still showable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillrise

Reaction score
I have a very promising looking young rex buck who's unfortunately developed calluses on his hocks (not sore hocks, just calluses, and yes, he does have a rather large resting board).

I just want to see what you guys think about his ability to still show. I've never seen calluses completely disappear--although if you have, by all means, do tell how! He has amazing conformation--smooth, high rise; well filled out; nice markings (blanket broken). I think his main lack is fur density, which is a commmon problem with blues anyway.

Would you enter a rabbit with calluses if he otherwise appears show/placement worthy?

Someone else may know different but I understood that as long as there weren't any sores on the skin that the rabbit could still show. I had a rabbit who developed callouses and lost her fur there but I couldn't show her because she also got sores, too.

Yes, the rules don't want any rabbits that have any sores or illnesses. This is more a question of /should/ I, by show etiquette. I kind of amount it to showing a rabbit whose coat is recovering from a blowout or is just starting to go into molt--I know it's done, but I'm not sure how well it's looked upon by the showing community.

Oh, and I just noticed that another of my promising little rexes has a small notch in the corner of her ear (I think it may actually be a healed wound--momma's bite?). Is that going to affect her terribly? I may not end up showing her anyway, as she has a few scattered white hairs in her beautiful black coat (mom is REW), but should she grow out of it...and color is only a few points in the rex standard anyway (don't remember if scattered hairs are DQ or not off the top of my head).

majorv wrote:
Someone else may know different but I understood that as long as there weren't any sores on the skin that the rabbit could still show. I had a rabbit who developed callouses and lost her fur there but I couldn't show her because she also got sores, too.

Theinformation you postedis correct majorv. The Standard is very clear that "merely bare" hocks are not a DQ - only signs of infection of bleeding are cause for DQ.

Latest posts

Back