Californian Meat Pen Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlePennyGirl

Reaction score
Hi,

My daughter is new to showing meat pens. We bought a meat pen and she also raised her own. Due to very cold temperatures she lost her litter in January and had to breed again.

1st set - born January 22, 2018 (bought)
Weighs - 3lbs 15oz, 3lbs 7oz, 3lbs 4oz

2nd set - born February 6, 2018 (hers)
Weights - 3lb 4oz, 3lb 4oz, and 3lb 5oz

My question is: We show on April 7th and it looks like we will not meet the 5lb recommended weight which is disheartening as she paid for these rabbits and work as so hard with them.

Should we use our 1st bought set or just use the ones she bred. The 2nd set is closer in weight too. Both sets look great.

Each rabbit has its own pen, fresh food daily, fresh water several times a day. We feed Petrus 5050, 16% protein, few Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. They are all healthy and again perform great.

Thank you for reading and any suggestions. Its her first year so we know its a learning experience. She just researches and takes care of these bunnies so well that I want her to succeed.

For meat pens they are usually about 70 days when they show. Yours are very close to that age and it’s very weird that they aren’t 5lbs yet. I showed Californians for my meat pen and all of mine were once ounce away from each other. I had the lady that sold me the buns look through all of my babies and pick the best 5. We had to have two alternates for my show. I would say to judge all the babies together and pick the three that are the most identical. That is what you want in a meat pen as well as them being good. I know you don’t have many choices but if the February litter is the most identical type wise then go with them.

Latest posts

Back