Calf Manna

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anneq

Reaction score
Can people post pros & cons of this product?
I have a doe that's on her last litter, and would like to get some of her flesh and coat built back up to par - I'm considering rolled oats also to help put some weight back on her.

Aww, cmon guys lol - no one ever used this before?
Any breeder have any tips on how to get a doe back to her pre-pregnancy weight? I know that's it's been said that some does never regain their previous weight, but I'm hoping that's not my case with Rosie. Other than needing to put on a wee bit more weight, she looks fine and has a good appetite (doesn't help that it's getting a lot warmer and she isn't digging in to her food quite as eagerly as she did in the cooler months)

Yes a little bit of calf manna is a great way to condition the coat and put some extra weight on them! Only a few pellets is all thats needed mixed into their bowl of regular pellets.

the rabbitry may be able to help you with tips to help your doe put on weight .. I am going to transfer you to the rabbitry

mishciwapos gave a good suggestion but you may get more responses in the rabbitry

I've never heard of calf manna being used to put on weight. I do know some people that use it to aid in milk production though in pregnant does. And also some that use it to help wean litters.

A mixture of rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds would help put some condition back on your doe. You can also free-feed her for awhile which should help too.

Thanks, ORR - I've been free-feeding her through her nursing (and pregnancy)..going to pick up some rolled oats tommorow.

Also, just be patient with her. Some does never really loose condition and you can breed them over and over consistently with no problem. Then other does have one litter and it's month before they regain condition.

Larger litters tend to have more of an affect on the doe. When my Hollands have 2-3 babies, it's usually not a big deal. But for a small breed, having a litter of 5 like one does now can really take it out of them.

I generally don't wean until 8 weeks if I can avoid it. I feel like the kits do better the longer they are kept with mom. However, if you notice your doe losing condition quickly in the future, definitely start her and her litter on oats and seeds and then wean them closer to 6 weeks.

Just some extra advice. :)

I use Animax, which is Purinas form of Calf Manna. I use it to help put weight on my bucks, and feed it to nursing does. They act like its bunny crack, lose their minds gobbling it down, feed it in a separate bowl or they will dig thru the rabbit pellets looking for more. I would use it carefully on a doe needing body condition, I'd increase the regular pellet protein first, say from 16% to 18%. I try to keep my does lean because if they get fat around their ovaries their done breeding. Also breed has a lot to do with it, my Florida Whites and Mini Rex will chunk out a lot quicker than my Flemish and Cremes did, seems like many of the smaller breeds will. Just use a few pellets as someone esle suggested, stop when she appears to be improving, remember they grow fat on the inside before it shows on the outside.

Thanks ORR, this was her largest litter by far (8 kits, 1 died after 5 days).
She was never a chunky bunny, but always sleek- however her fur is looking good, just needs some more muscle to her.
I'll have to be patient with her.
She's still nursing at 6 weeks, and so far all the buns are very healthy and active.
This will be her last litter, as Sam had his neutering 2mos.ago.

I've used Calf manna to put a little weight back on... but in very limited quantities. Literally, 1/2 teaspoon every other day. It can be too rich and cause them to blow coat if you give too much. (Kind of undoes the "back in condition" thing.) I do like the rolled oats to put on weight. Again, in limited quantities, a few teaspoons for my Flemish girls, a teaspoon for the Mini Rex.

BlueGiants wrote:
I've used Calf manna to put a little weight back on... but in very limited quantities. Literally, 1/2 teaspoon every other day. It can be too rich and cause them to blow coat if you give too much. (Kind of undoes the "back in condition" thing.) I do like the rolled oats to put on weight. Again, in limited quantities, a few teaspoons for my Flemish girls, a teaspoon for the Mini Rex.
Yes, just a pinch is all you need. Don't forget its also possible to overdose on Calf Manna in the same way its possible for people to overdose on vitamins!

Feeds are generally formatted around 16% protein for optimal nutrition. Calf Manna protein is a whopping 25%! High protein levels are damaging to the kidneys and can adversely affect condition.

There are safer and better ways to add flesh condition than to use a milk pellet designed for growing calves. Steam rolled oats and a few black oil sunflower seeds are commonly used for firm flesh and to add a little fat to the diet.

Pam

Thanks Pam and others who replied - I'll be picking up some black sunflower seeds and rolled oats.
Btw, the old-fashioned Quaker Oats (not instant or quick) - are they also a healthy alternative?

Thanks Pam and others who replied - I'll be picking up some black sunflower seeds and rolled oats.
Btw, the old-fashioned Quaker Oats (not instant or quick) - are they also a healthy alternative?

Old fashioned (steam rolled) oats are fine. Cracked oats are less processed and contain more fiber/nutrients.

Pam

Latest posts

Back