Calcium in urine, but...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarBunny

Reaction score
Hi my bunny has been showing calcium in urine when it dries on certain surfaces. I’m getting him neutered in July. Anyways, what am I giving him that is causing the calcium or is it normal??

I feed unlimited Timothy hay, and give romaine daily and bits of apple, carrot or berry here and there- not daily. He gets 1-2 Tablespoons of pellets/day. He gets oxbow garden select for adult rabbits. Oh and my bunny is around 9 months old.

Should I switch something I’m doing?
His dried urine doesn’t look like sludge but it has a white surface you could scratch with your nail. I will try and send a photo when I can.

Is the urine a thin normal consistency before drying? And is the calcium sediment thin and chalky when it dries? Is there a lot of calcium sediment or just a little in the urine? Some calcium excretion is normal. It's when there is an excessive amount and/or the urine is thick because of it that it can be a problem.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

So part of the paper got wet but the left side is mainly what I’m talking about. It looks like the last drop of pee was more concentrated. The stuff under was a light dusty look.
By the way, my bunny doesn’t like being held or picked up. Is there any way to slowly get him used to it? He sits on me for a little bit and walks all over me but that’s it.

Attachments

• 7AA76419-F59B-48B9-B335-68386022C176.jpeg
    7AA76419-F59B-48B9-B335-68386022C176.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 7
So part of the paper got wet but the left side is mainly what I’m talking about. It looks like the last drop of pee was more concentrated. The stuff under was a light dusty look.
By the way, my bunny doesn’t like being held or picked up. Is there any way to slowly get him used to it? He sits on me for a little bit and walks all over me but that’s it.
Doesn't look abnormal to me, just excess calcium. Don't pick him up, they generally hate it. Only pick up when you really have to.

Doesn't look abnormal to me, just excess calcium. Don't pick him up, they generally hate it. Only pick up when you really have to.
I usually only do it when I need to clip his nails or he escaped from his safe zone. Ok, good to know that basically I will keep on with what I’m doing in that area. If I wanted to take him outside, should I put him in a carrier?

And so this is a normal amount of calcium? When he was younger I never saw this much when it dried (on my carpet). If he always peed in his litter I’d never have noticed!

He is around 9 months old and hasn’t been neutered, could that be why he is pooping all over the place and peeing here and there in his cage? I’ve got 2 more months til I can take him in, but by then my vet will allow me to go with him! So that’s a plus.

That one single spot of thicker dried calcium is possibly concerning. It means the calcium is settling in the bladder. Which may mean there could be bladder sludge issues in the future. I would suggest trying to reduce pellet amounts to maybe 1 tbsp a day and see if that makes a difference. Because the rest of his diet is all pretty low calcium foods. Then monitor body condition to make sure with the diet change he can maintain a healthy weight.

Also, if he drinks from a bottle and not a dish, I would provide a dish(and make sure he drinks from it fine). Rabbits usually drink more from a dish, and better hydration will help keep that bladder flushed out.

I've also read of owners with bladder sludge prone buns, having success adding cranberry into the diet. Might be worth trying, instead of using the apple or carrot for treats. I know sherwood has a decent urinary support supplement with cranberry, but I wouldn't necessarily go that route unless your bun actually had confirmed bladder sludge issues.

Medirabbit: supplements for bladder sludge issues

You can also do things like providing shelves and boxes for him to hop up and down from, encouraging activity. What this does is help keep that sediment in the bladder churned up and more easily expelled when your rabbit urinates, instead of it settling in the bladder and making it more difficult to urinate out.

Yes, peeing and pooping all over can be a common marking behavior for unfixed rabbits, male rabbits in particular. In fact they often like to whip a mist of urine across the room to mark everything in it's path, including anyone that might be standing it it's way :p

Luring them into a carrier with food is usually the best way to transport them from one place to the other. That way it's their decision and it doesn't damage built up trust, the way picking them up against their will can.

That one single spot of thicker dried calcium is possibly concerning. It means the calcium is settling in the bladder. Which may mean there could be bladder sludge issues in the future. I would suggest trying to reduce pellet amounts to maybe 1 tbsp a day and see if that makes a difference. Because the rest of his diet is all pretty low calcium foods. Then monitor body condition to make sure with the diet change he can maintain a healthy weight.

Also, if he drinks from a bottle and not a dish, I would provide a dish(and make sure he drinks from it fine). Rabbits usually drink more from a dish, and better hydration will help keep that bladder flushed out.

I've also read of owners with bladder sludge prone buns, having success adding cranberry into the diet. Might be worth trying, instead of using the apple or carrot for treats. I know sherwood has a decent urinary support supplement with cranberry, but I wouldn't necessarily go that route unless your bun actually had confirmed bladder sludge issues.

Medirabbit: supplements for bladder sludge issues

You can also do things like providing shelves and boxes for him to hop up and down from, encouraging activity. What this does is help keep that sediment in the bladder churned up and more easily expelled when your rabbit urinates, instead of it settling in the bladder and making it more difficult to urinate out.

Yes, peeing and pooping all over can be a common marking behavior for unfixed rabbits, male rabbits in particular. In fact they often like to whip a mist of urine across the room to mark everything in it's path, including anyone that might be standing it it's way :p

Luring them into a carrier with food is usually the best way to transport them from one place to the other. That way it's their decision and it doesn't damage built up trust, the way picking them up against their will can.
Thanks!
Yes I will go back to 1 tbsp a day. I was doing that for the same reason. I will also up his lettuce. What is the right way to measure 1 c of lettuce?
He does have a box he jumps on to get to his upper level and he goes up and down it like a madman sometimes he has so much energy. I will keep an eye on keeping him moving.

Latest posts

Back