Calcium carbonate residue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
Dissolve same by pouring enough distilled whitevinegar into the litter box to cover the residue and letstand 20 minutes or so. Hasten the process by "swishing" thevinegar over the residue in a rocking motion and/orsimultaneously swabbing with kitchen paper towels.

I was doingit this morning and it occurred to me that some of you might not be aware of this little tip.

Buck

Thank you, Buck! :dude:

Had no idea. Will definitely do that.
:cool:

-Carolyn

Buck Jones wrote:
Dissolve same by pouring enough distilled white vinegar intothe litter box to cover the residue and let stand 20 minutesor so. Hasten the process by "swishing" the vinegar over theresidue in a rocking motion and/or simultaneously swabbingwith kitchen paper towels.

I was doingit this morning and it occurred to me that some of you might not be aware of this little tip.

Buck
and my little putty knife to hasten the process LOL I squirtwith vineagar and let sit then scrap a little with a putty knifeany tough spots;)

Just wanna let you guys know that I purchased ahuge jug of vinegar and it really worked well! As soon as Ipoured it in the pan, it fizzed up and I knew it was already dissolvingthe urine build up. I let it stand 5-10 min, then rinsed invery hot water, and it is almost like new....thanks for all thehelp! I was worried I'd have to buy a new pan!

Calcium carbonate is the residue often found "caking' or "crusting" on the bottom of litter boxes or trays in cages.

White vinegar combines chemically to remove that residue with virtuallyno effort upon your part. It has to be seen to be believed,provided you use enough vinegar and let it sit long enough....the moreresidue, add more vinegar and add more time sittingand soaking.

Have never used other types of vinegar and they may work as well, but I don't know that they would be as inexpensive, though.

Buck

Well, I have a question that may have to do withthe calcium carbonate. I was just upstairs hanging out withWrigley and I noticed in his litterbox that some of his poops have awhite layer on them. Is the white stuff urine that has driedon them?

Jenn

babybunnywrigley wrote:
Well, I have a question that may have to do with the calciumcarbonate. I was just upstairs hanging out with Wrigley and Inoticed in his litterbox that some of his poops have a white layer onthem. Is the white stuff urine that has dried on them?

Jenn

Yes, I have noticed this on some of Cosmo's poops as well.I'm not quite sure what this means, but I'll take a guess...

I have noticed that old dog poop turns white as well, maybe there iscalcium in the poop as well that shows up as the poo getsolder...perhaps these bunny poops with a white layer are the slightlyolder ones???

VNess2010 wrote:
babybunnywrigley wrote:
Well,I have a question that may have to do with the calciumcarbonate. I was just upstairs hanging out with Wrigley and Inoticed in his litterbox that some of his poops have a white layer onthem. Is the white stuff urine that has dried on them?

Jenn

Yes, I have noticed this on some of Cosmo's poops as well.I'm not quite sure what this means, but I'll take a guess...

I have noticed that old dog poop turns white as well, maybe there iscalcium in the poop as well that shows up as the poo getsolder...perhaps these bunny poops with a white layer are the slightlyolder ones???
Yup, that is what I was thinking too ;) I'mthinking it also has to do with the fact that urine gets on the poopand it turns white as it dries and gets older.

Jenn

Latest posts

Back