Cages - What are good ones like...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Oh my... I was doing my work when i came across this ad:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-cage-pour-lapin-chinchila-W0QQAdIdZ41401465

The cages look so teeny and way uncomfortable...I justwanted to cry thinking of rabbits being stuck in that all day long.

Picture Polly's rabbitry beside this. What a huge difference!

What do most rabbitry's go for? I haven't been finding info online and I was rather curious to know if this was the "standard" :?

They look like a slightly smaller version of our show cages over here!!

It depends on the breed the size of hutch you need. Mine being nethies are meant to have pretty small hutches so they don't run their shoulders off for showing and some of the ones I have seen on my travels are very small however we have had new laws brought in last year by the government which gives larger proportions for housing rabbits in.

It really all depends onthe breed and what size they are at maturity, and what you are able to maintain. You have to work with the space you have and what is best for the rabbits. Obviously, Does with litters will need more space than herd bucks. Height will vary also depending on breed. My Flemish need 24" minimum height in their cages. The Mini Rex are comfortable in 18".

Those "pre-made" systems are nice, but very expensive and not always what's best for your rabbits. I prefer individual cages, that I make myself. That way, I can maintain, modify, replace or upgrade according to my rabbits needs.

cool system. I raise Holland Lops and Polish. My cages are mostly 24"x24"/ I have some 30X36.

I ought to have translated that... Lol.

"lapin/chinchila" = Rabbit/Chinchilla

"cage a lapin, en stainless de 12 de hauteur x 12 de largeur x 18 de pronfondeur et de 12 de hauteur x 15 de largeur x 22 de pronfondeur" =

Rabbit cage, in stainless steel 12in high t x 12in wide x 18 deep and 12in high x 15 wide x 22 deep.

Bah, I guess I was just shocked because they look so small in the pics. That's a lot of rabbits in tiny cages there :?

Standard cage size for smaller breeds is 24 x 24, although we do use some smaller cages for our weanlings & bucks.

The cages pictured are rather small.

Pam

What height would you need for a Mini Lop? I have just purchased a cage that is 120cm long x 65cm deep and 47cm high. Is that height okay?

Latest posts

Back