Cages Only 2007

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michaela wrote:
Jessi that is a great hutch!!:D I often hear US memberstalking about how it's hard to find a decent sized hutch there, lookslike you've been lucky. Reminds me of the nice big ones here.:)

Thanks :) Yes, I did a lot of searching, and all the good ones were outof the US :( So I was happy to find this, even though it wasn'tcheap... but I think it's worth it :)

Jessi

MyBoyHarper wrote:
CheyAutRanch wrote: Jessi, that is one kick butt hutch! Where did you get it at? I love theway it's made and has the little shelf in the top right hand corner. Ialso like the ramp that goes down into the second level and it's allllgrass. Bunny heaven!

Thanks!I got it throughwww.petsmart.com it's pricy but Ithought worth it. Since you can't see what's under the hay on thebottom... it's wood on 2/3 (to the right of the ramp) and mesh on theother 1/3 (left of the ramp).

I wasn't sure a bunny would use the shelf above the 2nd floor, boy was I wrong! They love it! THey like to spread out on it :)

I have a litter box in the "box" part (top right), I was surprised how easily they started using it! :)

Jessi

I may have to save up and get that hutch. Ireally like it and I think it would be neat for my buns to get outsidea couple times a week on cool days.

Building one is probably out of the question, I can't do it by myself and my fiance gets bored easily, hehe.

Possibly we can build just a run with an attached box thing to go in.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Haha, I would be HORRIBLE at building one, too!

I thought about the run thing with box idea, but hubby didn't feel itwas safe enough... he may be right, but since I don't know just HOW Iwoudl have done it, I have no clue ;) He really wanted me to get thehutch I got, and I really liked it... I saw one in the feed store I goto, same hutch, way before I got my buns, before I even thought abouthaving buns, and liked it, so.... (but it was $100 MORE there! AGH! Andsince Petsmart had free shipping...!)

Jessi

Yeah, building one would be an experience, forsure. I want to save up for a new camera before getting an outdoorhutch though. For now if I want to take them outside, I can just use abunch of NIC panels made into a pen:).

DSCF1119.jpg

My b/friend built this for the Piggies and Rabbit. The Rabbit sleepsand eats downstairs...she has the run of the house hence the lack offloor space, the top is for the piggies who tend to hide a lot of thetime. It is 4x3ft and definitely big enough for her.

This was my b/friend's first attempt to build a hutch/cage. He had noidea at first. Work still has to be done on it but for his firstattempt I think is is brilliant. The pets love it and Fidget is veryhappy to have an option to come and go as she pleases. She loves hersoft bed the most.

That is a small cage.You should watch craigslist(CL) in the free list and in the pets list.You can find a good cage fora low price if not free.We are not picking on you.We just know you wanta healthy happy bunny.Right?

her cage is not small and she gets about 10 hours of excersize outside of her cage getting free run of my room.

thanks! for the suggestion.

for everyone else please stop teling me these things!:)i do not want to answer to anymore.

Ani-lover's cage is a great size for one bunny, especially if the bun is getting 10 hours out-of-cage time a day.

Just remember that there are THOUSANDS of bunnies living in very tiny cages out there, Ani-Lover's bun is not one of them.

Thanks Michaela its not as good as some of theones on here. Its unfortunate that we could not find any of that whitemesh stuff (NIC?). But they like it and thats the main thing. If anyonecan suggest how to make it better please let me know.

THanks

Shaker's breeder calls this hiscastle. It started out as a 24"Wx24"Lx18"H cage fromBass. Last Christmas, Shaker got another cage the samesize. I cut half the floor out of the old cage (there is asupport rod under it), left the top off the new one, and stacked them.

47b6db34b3127cce897c6daaa7f100000025108Acs27hm4cNg

Picture006.jpg

heres his cage. but if we talk about actual enclosures i should take apicture of myroom cuz he never goes in his cage anymore lol.

Just adopted Flower on Sunday, build this cagestarting at 7 am this morning (Monday), and finished it by2pm. I had already build a C&C cage (got the ideafrom GuineaPigCages.com) for my two guinea pigs, but made a fewalterations for the bunny. Please let me know if you see any"red flags". This is my first bunny, though we have many otheranimals. I did a lot of research on this site and other cagesthat people had built. As far as the specifics: grids are fromBed,Bath,and Beyond. A little more expensive, but larger andlook much more polished. The bottom is coroplast wrapped in aultra plush fleece blanket from Ross (5.99, I love thatstore). The 2nd floor is coroplast with grass carpet, but Ithink I am going to cover it with some blankets and add a couple smallterra cotta pots. I used 5 L shaped shelf racks from OSH,which only cost about 80 cents each, along with about 100 zip ties juston the L racks, my hands are raw! They made the 2nd floor extrasturdy. I used about 250 zip ties on the entire cage to makeit super sturdy. The 3 panels on the bottom are zip ties onlywith clamps so that I can open the front and let her out. SWeare moving this week and we are going to get a pet pen and connect itto the cage so that she can run outside of the cage. I alsomade a door on the top. The pots are from OSH for about 5bucks, and I recruited my husband to cut a hole out of it for ahide. The blanket in the pot is fleece pillow cover fromRoss. I took it out of the pot later today and opened thecenter, to make it more like a cup/snuggle.

04-30-07_1431.jpg

04-30-07_1430.jpg

04-30-07_1429.jpg

Here is the cage that I made myself fromplexiglass, wood square dowels and coroplast. The secondlevel is held currently by one dowel under the middle and one on theend along with the dowels around the side. I plan on addinganother support underneath. The litterbox is in the endwithout the second level and they both use it pretty well. Ihave the waterbottle and food bowl on the second level as you cansee. I have a few toys in there that they play with and amagazine that they both love to chew on. I also bought alittle box that I set next to it during their play time so they canjump in and out as they want to. If I were to build it again,I would make sure the coroplast is exactly the same length as the sidesbecause the bottom level is about a half inch longer than theplexiglass which creates a small hole where litter can leak outwhenever they were just becoming litter trained. I would alsouse thicker dowels to add more support. I have added thickerones for some of it which have helped, but it would have been better tojust start off with them. I would also try to cover the endof the second level with something that they cannot chew throughbecause they are starting to chew through and I might need to get a newpiece of coroplast or add another support. Other than that, Ithink that it has been a pretty good cage with plenty ofspace.

100_4179.jpg

100_4178.jpg

Flowerpower, great cage, how did your husbandcut the flower pots? Great idea, did you sand the edges sothey are not sharp?

Susan:bunnydance:

Here's Pepsi's cage this is already in anotherthread but oh well....here it is again...and yes thats the petstorecage on top, and the bottom is her litterbox...Plus its going to bebigger once Ozzy comes home.

Latest posts

Back