Cages Only 1 (now closed)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my hubbys first attempt at building something. So he was VERY proud...the only thing I would change is wheels!! It would be nice to have wheels on it so I can move it easier to steamclean the bunn room! It's on my 'honey-do' list!;) He did put plexi-glas on the side where the litterbox is which is a lifesaver! Otherwise there would be hay everywhere! If I could find a pan to fit in the bottom I would be tempted to just fill the whole bottom shelf with hay for the bunns!:D

Runestonez wrote:
If I could find a pan to fit in the bottom I would be tempted to just fill the whole bottom shelf with hay for the bunns!:D
I can only imagine how much the buns would love having all that hay! But... it would DEFINITELY be messy, too! Talk about kicked out hay and stained bunny feet ;) Maybe I could talk my boyfriend into making another cage like that for my bunny? :ponder:I wish.

The base part of the hutch was a cinch..we used an old desk and removed the top. The we got 3/4" ply wood and made a new base, covered it in arborite, and used 1X2 and 1X3 pine to make the rest of the frame. We added the second shelf, covered the open spaces in the front and sides with chicken wire,and then painted it allover the same colour. When we did the bottom we just added another shelf covered with arborite and the 1X2 and 1X3 pine again...Voila! It took about a weekend to do it!

This is a pic of thehutch before we added the bottom shelf...the bunns needed a long ramp to get up to the hutch. And we stored their food and supplies onthe bottom, but they would chew holes inthe baskets and try to getintotheir food...apparently it tastes better right out of the bag!

The storage idea on the bottom was a good idea, but I can see how tempting it would be for the buns to rob their food bags :DOur rat cage had storage on the bottom too, but we made doors for it that had wire mesh windows, so they were furry-burglar proof! That ramp definitely looked a bit long for your buns, though. I'm sure they love the extra shelf :D

Here's my cage;

Image025.jpg

The water bottle's since been moved to the top floor. The bottom folds down so that that whole portion of the cage is open, and the top half does the same for easy cleaning access. It measures 120x100x50cm, with each floor being 50cm high.

Latest posts

Back