Cages Only 1 (now closed)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverie wrote:
yep! that's where the picture is from :) and somehow i don'tthink they would ship one to New Zealand! So i'll have toconvince my darest daddy to build me one :)
lol...i gotta do the same thing..or learn how to build one:shock:

Man, some of those cages make me want to morphto bunny size so I can explore them! Great work, many of themare so creative!
I just posted these two pictures in the introduction post but I'm not really sure how oftian you guys look through that..
so here they are..

steakinhishutch.jpg

This is Steak's hutch, built by my roommate's dad. He used to share it with another bunny but now it's his own.
Sorry I couldn't get a full on shot, it fits snugly in my closet andthe doors open all the way don't reveal the whole thing. Thetop extends a bit and hidden is a next box although you can make outthe opening from the picture.

I just got a second rabbit whom I hope will eventaully share that hutch with Steak, but for now she's in this standard cage
IMG_2534.jpg

Steak's hutch is open whenever I'm home unless he's in a timeout. The new addition (she doesn't even have a name yet:whatevah ) is confined to her cage most of the time, being let out inmy room for exercise when Steak is in the living room. She'spretty tiny and seems content for now.

NightPoet00 wrote:
Luna_102_blue.jpg

These seem like great cages. Of course, I'm all set with my nifty andslightly precarious NIC cage (I just reinforced it with cable ties,thank goodness), but I drool over this every time I go to the petstore. Anyone have any experience with this one?
This is the cage I bought for Beauty and now Cinnabunny resides in it.I like that the hay bin and water bottle can be moved anywhere. I likethat the food bin is attached to the top floor which encourages her togo up there and eat. So far I like the fact that I can easily cleanthe bottom of the cage but she continues to be a young bunnyand is pooping and peeing in the bed area. That isn't good because thesides of the bottom aren't high enough to stop her pee from going overthe edge. A triangle little box fits fine in the cage and I hope toconvince her to use one corner of the bottom so that I can put it inthere. The top of the cage opens as well the side. The doors are a goodsize and make getting her out very easy.

I do realize that we have to take her out and put her in every time sheis loose but this is ok in our house. With two little boys I want toknow when she is out. She is small, and hopefully won't be TOO big. Wewill work on ways to allow her more freedom as we get used to takingcare of her.

I'll post some pictures of her in the cage when I take them.

100_20981.jpg

This is Sherry, the FOSTERbun's home. She'salittle 'tub aggressive'.

100_2096.jpg

The view from above (standing on the toilet seat).When she's in 'lockdown' mode, I take the board off and put it uprightagainst the tub, and there's another board (or a two-panel high NICfence) that blocks the rest of it.

Cinnabunny,

That's a very nice cage. I'll be interested to know how it works out once Cinnabunny gets settled in.

Jenni + Gretchen Bun

My husband and I just finished building Trix anew home. We got the grids at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Costco, Staples,Wal-Mart and Office Max didn't have ANY! It was $14.95 for a pack of 16grids. They also had 1 box with 25 grids for $20.
We then went to Home Depot and bought plywood and peel-and-stick linoleum tiles. The tiles were $17 for a case of 45 tiles.
My husband zip-tied the plywood for the 2 upper levels to the grids ofeach level by drilling holes in the wood and zip-tying them to thegrids. It makes the rest of the cage a lot more stable as well. Wecovered the tops of the plywood with the linoleum tiles....
The zip ties were only $7 for about 1000 ties! We put wheels on thebottom of the base and also zip-tied the bottom edge of the cage to thebase to keep it from folding in. We used 2x2's for support. The tophinges up in the middle to open and close, and the front 2 verticalgrids also open. We used metal binder clips to hold the doors closed,they were FREE and work GREAT!

thats a nice cage trixierabbit:D...i also usedthe linoleum tiles on our cage like that, but ours didnt have any peeland stick:(...i think we're going to change to something else...ourbuns dont slip or anything, but i think it would be better withsomething else

Yeah, I like the idea of using the tiles,too. I think my husband and I might join you in thatidea! We've had the hardest time trying to come up withsomething that's easier to clean out than what we currently have setup...and that sounds perfect! :)

P.S. Does she slip around much when she runs around?

peapoo and petey dont slip aroundmuch...sometimes when they get really excited their feet might slip alittle, but most of the time theyre ok...ive just got to find biggertiles...the ones i have are 12x12in. and the nic cubes are 14x14:(

maherwoman wrote:
Yeah, I like the idea of using the tiles, too. Ithink my husband and I might join you in that idea! We've hadthe hardest time trying to come up with something that's easier toclean out than what we currently have set up...and that soundsperfect! :)

Hi! I posted on my other thread today....the peel-n-stick linoleumtiles were VERY slippery and Trix wasn't going up to the other floorsof her cage.
After reading Laura's response about using peg board (rough side up)for the other floors, I went to Home Depot and bought a HUGE piece for$10. I had it cut to size (they do it free there) and then justattached it to the grids with zip ties. The holes are already there, soNO DRILLING needed!
It's lightweight, works like a charm, and VERY inexpensive. It's alsomade from compressed wood chips (as per Laura) so it's better thanlinoleum if you bunny likes to chew like mine does!

I HIGHLY recommend peg board!

OH....Maherwoman, I kept the linoleum tiles on the bottom part of hercage only, because its easier to wipe up any mess such as urine(sometimes she misses her box when she scoots her hiney right up to theedge) and water (when I change her water bottle it leaks a little)
I put down a large seagrass mat on the lower level for her to hang outon. She LOVES it! I got it in "Natural" at Bed Bath and Beyond for$10 for the 19" x 30" mat.
47594108220C.JPG

Here is the link:http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=108220&RN=52

this is how peapoo and petey's cages are rightnow...i had to divide the nic cage in half:), and they switch sideseveryday..one sides a little smaller than the other

wholecage.jpg

Oh, VERY cool. So you still havethe linoleum tiles, just under the mats now, and you have the pegboardon her upper levels? Did I get that right? Thatpegboard is so inexpensive! I feel like I just hit thejackpot!! :)

TrixieRabbit wrote:
maherwoman wrote:
Yeah, Ilike the idea of using the tiles, too. I think my husband andI might join you in that idea! We've had the hardest timetrying to come up with something that's easier to clean out than whatwe currently have set up...and that sounds perfect! :)

Hi! I posted on my other thread today....the peel-n-stick linoleumtiles were VERY slippery and Trix wasn't going up to the other floorsof her cage.
After reading Laura's response about using peg board (rough side up)for the other floors, I went to Home Depot and bought a HUGE piece for$10. I had it cut to size (they do it free there) and then justattached it to the grids with zip ties. The holes are already there, soNO DRILLING needed!
It's lightweight, works like a charm, and VERY inexpensive. It's alsomade from compressed wood chips (as per Laura) so it's better thanlinoleum if you bunny likes to chew like mine does!

I HIGHLY recommend peg board!

OH....Maherwoman, I kept the linoleum tiles on the bottom part of hercage only, because its easier to wipe up any mess such as urine(sometimes she misses her box when she scoots her hiney right up to theedge) and water (when I change her water bottle it leaks a little)
I put down a large seagrass mat on the lower level for her to hang outon. She LOVES it! I got it in "Natural" at Bed Bath and Beyond for$10 for the 19" x 30" mat.
47594108220C.JPG

Here is the link:http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=108220&RN=52

maherwoman wrote:
Oh, VERY cool. So you still have the linoleumtiles, just under the mats now, and you have the pegboard on her upperlevels? Did I get that right? That pegboard is soinexpensive! I feel like I just hit the jackpot!! :)

Yes, i still have the linoleum tiles stuck onto the base of the cage, with the straw mat over it in the corner.

The whole base is 1/2" thick plywood covered with the peel-n-sticklinoleum tiles. My husband also put a "lip" edge all around the base tokeep the cage from sliding off. The cage fits perfectly into the baseand won't slide around. In addition, to keep the bottom edges of thecage from sliding out on the front and sides, we drilled a couple ofholes and zip-tied the bottom parts of the cage to the base. We didntput an edge on the front part of the base so that we can open the doorin the front of the cage.

We also put wheels on the bottom so we can easily move the cage around the room.
You dont HAVE to put tiles on the base of the cage. You may even savemoney by using the peg board, but I found that the plywood provides asturdier foundation for the entire cage than just grids covered withpeg board. The peg board, in my opinion, works best for the otherlevels, since they really aren't supporting the weight of the wholecage, just the bunny herself. BUT, if you use the peg board over theplywood instead of the linoleum, you can buy a plastic place mat andput it under the litterbox and water bottle to keep the spills fromgetting on the peg board.

Oh my gosh...those are such good ideas. I'll bring them up with my husband and see what he thinks.

Another idea. I've been trying to think of some way to set upMaisie's cage to either be something I can sweep out (with Maisieundoubtedly chasing and biting the broom...lol) or I can put together adrawer-type thing under her cage.

I found an underbed drawer that looks like it might be sturdy enough (Iwould have to put two of them side-by-side for it to be the rightsize). I was thinking I could either cut out most of the top,or four squares of the plastic on top, so her droppings just fall rightthrough the mats and the wire bottom of her cage and I just have toempty the drawers every few days. Judging by the link below,do you guys think it looks sturdy enough to hold her cage (and possiblyFlower's on top)? I could even build a wood lift type thingunderneath so the weight of the cage isn't completely on the drawers.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=175&PRODID=69600

Another thing I was thinking of (because my husband is handy...butresistive to doing such at home) is buying a carpet dolly (pictureenclosed) to put under each cage, if they both sit on the floor, so Icould just wheel the cage off it's normal spot, and sweepunderneath.

http://www.acecasters.com/products/handtrucks&dollies.html

Actually, looking at these, I don't know why I can't just persuade myhusband to create something of the same darn thing (which we can makethe RIGHT size) out of four pieces of wood and four caster wheels.

Lol...I'll let ya know. :)

I love Rodney's cage. Somewhere in Gretchen's bunny fantasies she will have that cage.

Here's her current abode...so humble.

IMG_4114.jpg

But it works. It is a large dog crate that I bought atWalmart. I made her a shelf by drilling holes in a pine boardand attaching it to the bars with zipties.

Her cage rarely looks this clean. What is it aboutbuns? As soon as you clean their cages, they go in there andthrow everything around so its nice and messy--just the way they likeit.

Nessa, is that a Leith Petwerks cage?It looks awesome! They're so expensive, but they're one ofthe few producers of cages for rabbits that I would actually use.

dmmcnair wrote:
And I know this is a bunny forum, but I just finished Madi's new habitat. There are two sides to it since I plan on getting her some friends. One side is for the boys and the other side is for the girls. Madi just moved in this morning and she seems to be enjoying it, although she won't go to the second story.
This is a wonderful creative home!

Latest posts

Back