Cages Only 1 (now closed)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peapoo finally has somewhere she can be loosewhere i dont have to watch her all the time! yeah! its stillnot as big as i think it should be, but for right now this is the onlyplace i can put her

After meaning to post pictures of my cage for ages, I'm finally getting around to doing it!

I have a NIC condo for Wildfire, and my room-mate helped me build astand for it so I can store my food, litter, and hay under thecage. It works out really well.

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Here's a picture of the shelf inside, the mat is really chewed up now, I'm gonna have to replace it soon.
CageShelf.jpg

I love looking at all of the designs of cages inthis thread, as there are so many great ideas! I'll add a pic of Raph'scage, though it's nothing impressive...lol. I thought I had somepictures of his outdoor cage in my album, but can't find them...so willhave to post them in the Spring when the weather clears and I can getsome proper pictures.

Here's a pic of the run outside where I used to put Scooby; Raph had free run of the yard while Scooby went in here:

runSmall.jpg

And here is Raph's current home...my dog's crate. It's not very big; hesleeps in it during the day and has free run of the rest of the housein the evenings and all day/evenings on the weekends. Interestingly,even though Raph has access to all rooms in the house, he prefers tostay in the kitchen, hanging out around the outside (or sometimesinside) the crate.

pictures040Small.jpg

LOL...speak of the devil...just as I got ready to post this he wandered into the room...:D

Here are some pics of Rex and Peanut's latest cage/pen setup. Very spacious, and easy to clean (which is good cause they trash it all too often :rollseyes:)

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

juicyjuicee wrote:
Great setup m.e. May i ask where you got the pen from?

They're dog excercise pens, I think I ordered them from Pet Edge: http://www.petedge.com/. There are a lot of different places you can buy them from though, and mine only cost $30 each.

Lucy's new cage setup

Lucerrrsss432095.png

The floor i bought 2 rubbermaid hard plastic runners at walmart for 15.00 each. Its extemely easy to clean, just put in the tub and rinse it off. And it stays in place very good.

And again but not in such heavy snow....

They go in this run during the day when I'm at work. They also have a three-storey hutch in the garage (No pictures of it yet) where they stay on a night and obviously they have free-run of the house when I'm home.

o5t4sy.jpg

o5t4eq.jpg

o5t55d.jpg

The cage is very pleasing on the eyes. you see less cage mesh and more of the rabbit. I find white or brightly coloured NIC cubes really stick out in a room.

The cage is very light, sturdy and cannot rust. It can be very easily carried outside or into the bathtub to be rinsed off if needed. Also, it could be brought outside as an outdoor pen. You will have to put more welded wire mesh on the bottom to prevent rabbit from digging under the cage to escape.

I used 2x4" glvanized welded wire mesh. Most adults (maybe not dwarfs) should not be able to get their heads caught in it.

3/4" aluminum tubing from Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire or other building centers or hardware stores.

2" corner brackets with small screws attach the tubes together into rectangles to form the frame.

The mesh is attached to these frames with plastic ties.

The lid sits on top and is hinged with pieces of wire.

The door is made of the mesh and locks with a spring and hook.

Litter box is Rubbermaid container ($4) and has 1/2" screen bottom which sits up 2" from the bottom. The litter is underneath to catch the droppings and urine which pass through easily. No more rabbit lounging in the droppings. Kitty litter can be used since the rabbit has no way of getting to it and eating it. This way a good clumping litter can be used to scoop up the urine clumps and the litter scoop will also pick up all the droppings while leaving the litter. This way the litter will last quite a while without having to be changed. Use a dremel type tool with a cutting blade to cut the side out or use a narrow saw blade such as a hacksaw blade. Sand the edge to take out sharp burrs.

Please let me know if you need more info. or pics.

Matt B.

Hi i really love ur litter tray idea. Been looking for one of such box to turn into a litter tray but always thought they are either too low or too high for the buns. Y didn i think of cutting up an opening. U mentioned that the box have a 2" lift up. Do u mean that the bottom of the box is a bit more narrow than the top so that wire mesh can sit easily? Be glabe if u can posta pic of the empty box so tat i can figureout how it's bottomlooks like.

the litter box is very cheap. $4 for the box and the mesh screen was about $5 for a 10 ft. roll I think.
You can use the mesh to make more boxes for use around the house.

The box can easily be attached to the cage with perhaps a piece of wire but Sam never moves it around.

The wire mesh bottom in the box has the edges turned down 3" so it simply rests on these edges which raises it up 3".Notice that the corners have been cut back. That is, that the turned down edge does not go all the way to the corners. This makes it fit better since the box corners are rounded. Make sure that there are no pieces of wire sticking out which could cut the rabbit. Use a straight edge like a board to fold the mesh.It fits very tight so Sam can't pull it out but he never seems to try anyways.It could easily be attached more securely if one needed to.I could come up with a way to do this if someone needed it to be more securely attached if cat litter is being used and you don't want the rabbit to eat it, which could kill it.

Feel free to ask for more help.
Matt

o729nn.jpg

I bought a cage, but i will move my bunny out of it, and put my turtle in it. My uncle is a carpenter, so I'll ask if he can help me build a sick cage for the little guy.

that litter box really does seem like a great idea. I'm going to try and make one myself soon. The only question I have is where did you get that small wire mesh? Was it Home Depot as well?

Finally I can contribute to one of these Photo Phile threads :D

Earlier today I practically completed putting together the cage for my soon to arrive bunny friends. I still need to fix up the front door and "sky light" and trim up the supports for the 2nd floor and extra step.

Then I just need to put in some bunnies in there to make everything that much better.

So without further ado, I present "The Bunny Mansion"!

IMAG0032.jpg

complete with Super Bunny Look-out!

IMAG0036.jpg

extra bunny step

moz-screenshot.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

and the first floor

Very nice! Those will be some spoiled bunnies!

What did you use for the floor?

P.S. You may want to add a door to the second level. Otherwise you'll have a heck of a time cleaning it.:D

Latest posts

Back