Cages for rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, so I will be breeding Havanas, which granted are relatively small (up to 6 1/2 pounds) and have found a good caging system for the does, there's the wire stackable cages with drop pans, 30"x30". My Lera is in one now and though she's 10 weeks it is quite roomy and should work out nicely with a nesting box.

My question would be for the bucks, for the life of me I can't settle on a size.

I'm not going bigger since the next size would be 36x36 and even the girls would be lost in that, I was thinking of the next size down which is 24x24; however I looked at one of the drop pans for that size and it just seemed tiny. So I went home and pulled out the measuring tape (they hated that lol) and it didn't seem so bad at that size (granted they still have some growing to do).

I mean, they won't be more then food and water bowls, plus a toy or two and resting pads and they'll have daily activity outside their cage....so would the 24x24 work? The size I have for my doe just seems like it would be too big and now my head hurts lol

Havanas are awesome :inlove:

I have mini rex (so around 4lbs) and they'll be moved into they're new hutches in a couple days. It has 3 seperate stories, each is 4ftx3ft and has a slide-in divider. (so each side is 2ftx3ft) When a doe kindles I plan to remove the divider and let them have the full 4ftx3ft. Granted thats larger than what alot of breeder use but I've been know to baby mine :biggrin:

I've have a thread with pics of my progress, http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=56769&forum_id=8

You can get 30 x 24 cages, or is that not an option there? I have two 24 x 30 and they are very roomy without nest boxes and even with them there is room for litter box, bowls and room to lay.

eh, I'm looking at more online but no luck finding something of that size that wouldn't be some far out price (I can get the 24x24 and 30x30 way cheaper lol). But I'm still looking :p

I would personally get the 36x36, and put the does in them.

Think about it this way: once they have litters, for the two months they're out of the nest box and still with mom, that can be between 5 to 10 rabbits in once cage! I don't specifically know the litter size of Havanas, but.. Even with dwarfs, I've seen 8 kit litters. I tend to average 6 in a litter. And for any litter, I give the doe 24x48. It's really not that big once you see the kits with mom.

The bucks, on the other hand, would be perfectly fine with a 30x30. Even a 24x24, if need be. I put my dwarf bucks in a 24x24, if I can spare the space. If not, they have to squeeze down a little further into a petsmart cage during the overflow periods. (Like before state convention or state fair.)

Good luck! =D

So I found Safeguard stacking cages that look like they'd be pretty good, the largest size is 36"x24"x14" (lengthxwidthxheight).

Would that be decent (as in a larger size for the does)? I'm trying to measure it out between something like that (which looks like it's better quality) or try and find something that's 36x36 even....

I personnally keep bucks that size in 24 X 24, they get run time though. I have had havanahs before and the babies grow pretty quickly so make sure you get big cages for the does, 36 X 36 is good.

Latest posts

Back