Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are the same person that I responded to on another post you made about a sad rabbit? But just in case, yeah, the cage is too small. Plus, the bun needs hay. Lots of hay. It doesn't need that many greens. A few leaves a day or less is fine. The bun is more likely to play with toys when it is out an about. If that is the only cage you can afford, you might want to give your bun lots and lots and lots of free play time. Especially at dawn and dusk. Good luck.

I think you are the same person that I responded to on another post you made about a sad rabbit? But just in case, yeah, the cage is too small. Plus, the bun needs hay. Lots of hay. It doesn't need that many greens. A few leaves a day or less is fine. The bun is more likely to play with toys when it is out an about. If that is the only cage you can afford, you might want to give your bun lots and lots and lots of free play time. Especially at dawn and dusk. Good luck.
Those greens were for her thanksgiving dinner lol

That cage it’s really small, a normal size of a proper bunny cage will be a lot better.

But best would be building up a cc cage instead or a run indoors as a cage.

My own bunny cage indoors:
IMG_5685.jpg

The bare minimum size of a cage should allow for a rabbit to stretch out fully a minimum of 3x over. The shorter side of the cage in the photo you attached won't allow for one stretch. The long side isn't quite long enough for 2 stretches. You can check this thread for a word about cage sizing and a bunch of examples as well.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/

The height also needs to be higher. Bunny needs to be able to stand up fully on his hind legs without reaching the top.

I think if you look at the thread, you'll begin to get a better feel for what is appropriate.

Someone also mentioned hay. It is very important for your rabbit to have unlimited hay. You'll see the hay in many of those photos on that thread.

One thing you could do is get an exercise pen like this one (maybe ask for it for Christmas?):
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Black...73854698&sr=8-1&keywords=midwest+exercise+pen

Just be sure you get the 30" height or taller (not the 24").

Then you can use the exercise pen to make a play space for bunny.

The following photo is from a forum member. It shows how they used their too-small cage and added an exercise pen to make bunny's space much larger.

upload_2019-12-1_19-9-54.png

Last edited:
Since you asked (and I’m so happy you did!) the cage is definitely too small and I agree with the need for much more hay. My basic set up stays the same, but I move things around inside the 7’ x 4’ bunny kingdom to keep them entertained. (NOTE: The television for my buns was a joke... everybody else’s kids have televisions so I thought mine should have one, too...if only for a single Facebook post!) They are free roam throughout the day in the house and at night free roam in my room with me. The only time they are shut in their kingdom is when I am not home. 5FDCB224-8B73-458E-A767-27B9570E794D.jpeg334FFA1C-F44E-478B-BEA0-4BB65736E542.jpeg5346A9CD-1CBB-4989-B905-6D652B134DDC.jpeg4C25E3FD-7CCA-4C5D-8F50-961B1DF0107E.jpeg

Since you asked (and I’m so happy you did!) the cage is definitely too small and I agree with the need for much more hay. My basic set up stays the same, but I move things around inside the 7’ x 4’ bunny kingdom to keep them entertained. (NOTE: The television for my buns was a joke... everybody else’s kids have televisions so I thought mine should have one, too...if only for a single Facebook post!) They are free roam throughout the day in the house and at night free roam in my room with me. The only time they are shut in their kingdom is when I am not home. View attachment 44234View attachment 44235View attachment 44236View attachment 44237
The yellow tunnel is so cute where did you get it :)

Latest posts

Back