Cage/pen suggestions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny34422

Reaction score
Hey all! When I initially got my boy, I bought a 24 inch x-pen/doggy playpen for him, but soon found out that it was short enough for him to jump over. Since then, I ordered a 30-inch x-pen and he hasn't jumped over it yet but I know that he's tried. He's also learned to yank on the side of the pen against the wall until it creates a gap for him to squeeze through.

I only use the pens now to stop him from ripping up his supplies as well as blocking the door. But it's hard to stop him from escaping. Are there any other cages or pens I could try (and how tall should they be)? Someone suggested making some sort of roof with like a blanket/sheet but I'm not sure how to do that and still be able to walk in and out of his enclosure. In the future I wanted to use the two x-pens to split his room in half with space in between because I want to get him a (spayed) girlfriend, but I'm worried he will find a way to get to her unsupervised. Attached pics to show his setup.

Another thing I was wondering is if I should order a third one for bonding purposes, so it's "neutral" or could I just use the 24inch one I have now? I'm thinking of getting c&c grids from Amazon for the bonding area. Are the 6 cube ones good enough?

Attachments

• 8A417FA3-AB97-49E9-B81E-DE1F6D8C8996.jpeg
    8A417FA3-AB97-49E9-B81E-DE1F6D8C8996.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 17
  • B61BBFCE-1514-4C8F-A6AA-00B3F2095D6D.jpeg
    B61BBFCE-1514-4C8F-A6AA-00B3F2095D6D.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 16
https://www.amazon.com/Puroma-Stora...ywords=candc+grids&qid=1607639110&sr=8-1&th=1

Oh yeah to follow up on the last part, I've been looking at these. Are these good for bonding (or even for housing, seeing that I can configure them to be longer or taller)? Sometimes he chews/rattles the bars at night and I'm guessing he won't be able to do that to these c&c grids since there are no gaps.

I know those connectors fall apart easily though, would I still be able to ziptie these?

There are a few ways you can secure the ex-pen to keep him from sliding the end away from the wall. If you are able/allowed to put eyelet screws in the wall, then hooks can be put through the eyelet from the pen.
1607648543847.png with either 1607648669753.png or 1607648723802.png

Or you can put something heavy (and non-slip) on both sides of the pen where it meets the wall. In this photo, the litterbox prevents bunny from pulling the pen-end toward him (mine tended to pull rather than push). On the left side, it is difficult to see, but a 18" x18" tile prevents him from pulling that left end.
1607648927638.png

As for the plastic cube grids... I don't have any experience with them but I would be concerned that they could be chewed right through.

Theo used to move his playpen around and it was a huge pain! I finally got an eyelet and a hook so I could attach it to the wall to keep him from moving the ends around, but he would still move the middle section of the pen around. The other day I had gotten so tired of it, so I grabbed some bricks and put them on one side of the playpen so he couldn't move the pen anymore. I knew it would look ugly, but I was so fed up and I needed him to stop. The bricks work so well and he hasn't moved his playpen since.

If you are scared of your rabbit jumping over the playpen, I suggest getting a taller pen (36"-48"). I got really lucky and Theo doesn't jump or climb over pens so right now he has a 24" pen. If you adopt from a rescue maybe you can get a rabbit that doesn't climb over pens so you can use your 24" one.

I don't know about those NIC grids, because I would also be scared of your rabbit chewing through them. If you don't think your rabbit would chew them, and you want to connect them using zip ties, you would need to drill holes in the corners to put the zip ties through.

https://www.amazon.com/Puroma-Storage-Organizer-Bookshelf-Shelving/dp/B089R4M6QC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=candc+grids&qid=1607639110&sr=8-1&th=1

Oh yeah to follow up on the last part, I've been looking at these. Are these good for bonding (or even for housing, seeing that I can configure them to be longer or taller)? Sometimes he chews/rattles the bars at night and I'm guessing he won't be able to do that to these c&c grids since there are no gaps.

I know those connectors fall apart easily though, would I still be able to ziptie these?

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_111210.jpg
    IMG_20200803_111210.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back