Cage niceties

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm always looking for ways to spoil my rabbits and make their home as comfy as possible. Unfortunately they're always looking for ways to thwart my efforts and destroy the nice things I give them. Cali has a nice new enclosure with a hidey hole in a lower cabinet. I had put a small memory foam bath mat in there for her to sleep on but she killed it with all her digging and chewing. Before she could eat it I threw it out. I was looking for alternatives and found carpet tiles at the local big box hardware store. So we loaded the bottom with double sided tape and put it in her cabinet. Hopefully she can't pull it up and chew on it. It's also very low pile so not very chewable. We'll see how it goes. I would love to give her one of those cushy comfy cat beds I always see but she would kill that too. What do you all use?

Well, most rabbits chew everything. There is nothing you can do about it. My rabbits have a room for themselves (about 15 m²). There is nothing on the bottom of their (open) cage. They've got a wooden 2 storey house, with nothing on the wood (it's got chewed a bit, but it's been standing for about 7 years and it's mostly intact). They've got two big cardboard boxes, which bottom they dig and rip and chew. I change those every 6 weeks. They've got a pillow. It is envelopped in a pillow case and a sheet to avoid the rabbits eating the stuffing (I change them when they are too ripped - I buy some ugly ones second-hand for like 1 or 2$). Right now, they've got a blanket that I put on the floor because Tybalt had pododermatitis (it's cured now, I don't know if the blanket helped but they like it). I put a baby blanket on the part where they sit more often. Of course they dig it a chew it a little, but I come into the room to put the baby blanket on top of it several times a day and it works for now.
So yeah... don't buy anything expensive - if it's soft, the rabbit will probably rip it apart.

I've read about those carpet tiles and I thought they were a good idea! Let me know how it works out.

I wanted something that I could just easily vacuum and soft for bunnys feet. I bought 2 rugs from target, the bottom side is like nonslip material. I attached a pic, sorry the carpet is super messy and gross looking Bc I have to clean but I love the carpet a lot. (I'll post a pic when after I clean lol).

I too am always on the hunt for a nice cage/pen amenities. I am still in search of litter box solution. I see you have that hay box from etsy! I was looking at that and was going back and forth if I should buy it. How do you like it? It's so cute.

bc79a9a62c4ceee68e9a53144c68e3ac.jpg

My rabbit has perfect litter habits. But when she jumps out of the box, her poop comes with it and it drives me crazy to see poop all over her pen. So I bought a high hided litterbox... nope didn't work. Because she is little she has to jump with more effort and the poop would still come out with her jumping. Ahh

So now I'm trying To make a litter box with a metal grid that allows her poop to fall down. That's my current bunny project lol. I see they sell ones like this but they are so small. I'm trying to figure out how to make a bigger one.

The hay box off Etsy is great. It's so cute and holds a lot of hay. My husband had to modify it though, by putting a piece of wood in the middle so that the rabbits could not climb in, as one of them mistook it for a litter box and had a pee in it. Now with the divider no bunny butts can fit in there. So I'd recommend it but it was not cheap.

I find that it is always a matter of trial & error when it comes to flooring.

I've had many rabbits that would not bother carpet in their cages.

I had a memory foam bath mat that worked for a pair of rabbits for almost a year before they changed their mind and started chewing it.

I've had a cat bed that worked for years but was a bit small for the two rabbits. I tried to find a larger one and every other one I tried got chewed.

I've used mats that are made for in front of a kitchen sink and had those last for quite awhile. The one I use at Christmas (with pointsettia on it) they never chew. But
now they are chewing the one I just put in to replace it. :foreheadsmack:

Right now I'm using a metal extrusion to cover the one open edge of that mat since it is only that accessible edge that Mocha is chewing.

I've tried fleece also, but they've always chewed holes in the fleece.

My two have carpet in their cages and then memory foam mattresses on top of that. They chew (but do not eat!) the carpet, so we do have to replace that periodically but they (for some reason) mostly leave the memory foam pads we have alone. One likes to chew (again, not eat) the fuzzy stuff on top of the mattress (to make it more like a bed I guess), but leaves the memory foam as is. It's funny, when we take the mattresses away to wash them, they get so sad! But they always move the mattresses out of the way to tear up carpet. Oh rabbits. :p

So I found a wire grid thing and I put it in my small litterbox, and put hay on top. My rabbit runs over and was like what the heck mom. She refused to go in it! She sat on the outside and ate her hay. #fail

44d7819a93d9758d7c2a6f2019f6e92f.jpg

Yea it is pricey. Right now I'm using an old tissue box that she loves but she tosses it around.

So I found a wire grid thing and I put it in my small litterbox, and put hay on top. My rabbit runs over and was like what the heck mom. She refused to go in it! She sat on the outside and ate her hay. #fail

That cooling rack has rather wide spacing. I would've been concerned about her paws getting stuck in there.

You could try a cooling rack with a cross grid pattern.
One like this but sized for your box:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003W0UNM0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back