Cage help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
I need to make Charlie a ramp so that he can make his own decisions about coming out of his cage. He has an elevated prevue cage. Had I thought about it, I might have just made an NIC condo or gotten a floor cage, but for now, I've sunk the cash into the cage. I don't plan on leaving him in the cage once he gets the potty training shenanigan down. How would you make a ramp or steps so that he could get in and out on his own?

A photo would be helpful. Does the door open by swinging down?
You could use a box to function as a "step" for him. (or more than one box if it is too high)

I googled prevue cages but there are multiple types. Can you just remove the elevated stand so that the cage is on the floor?
That's alot to spend on a ramp - it's just a piece of wood with carpet on it. Bunnies can hop well enough where just a box can work. Or you can get a piece of wood and wrap it in fleece.

Some of the cages Prevue has also have a wire bottom. If yours has that, you may want to remove the wire so it has a solid bottom.

I may be getting you confused with someone else, but did you say you were planning on making a NIC cage sometime? If so, you probably won't want to waste $30 on a ramp that's temporary. If you do still want to get the ramp, check the length and compare it with the height of the opening of your current cage. That way you can check to see how steep that ramp will be on your cage and how far out it will stick into the room.

I think I'd do a couple of boxes...or just get a board cut to low fry at lowes/ Home Depot (if u dont have a saw) and wrap it in fabric.

here's the post in my blog where I made my agility course... http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/nala-gaz-70961/index29.html#post949514 -

when making my teeter-totter and A-frame, I used a 10''x1''x8' long board that Home Depot cut for me and used this runner thing from home depot (there's a pic of it) that's kinda like berber carpeting and screwed it into the board - you could do the same thing to make your own ramp for < $30

I once took a piece of MDF, put a couple of cup hooks on one end (that could hook onto the opening of the door), and stapled carpet onto it. Gave them plenty of traction to get up and down and didnt cost much. HTH's!

Megan

I'm not good with abbreviations...can you spell it out for me :D

I think a box would probably be okay. Which prevue cage is it? http://www.shopping.com/Prevue-Pet-Rabbit-Cage/info Is it that one?
If it is and the door hangs down to open, I would take it off and make it open like a real door, so he won't get his feets stuck. Then put a box or a storage bin below it for him to jump down to. Does the cage not come out of the stand thing?

As for that ramp you put a link to, I'm pretty sure you could find the materials to make that thing for a lot cheaper than the cost and shipping of it. Go to a housing construction sight and get a piece of wood and some carpet remnants, then make a ramp. Thats what I would do.

And I agree with whoever said to take the wire out if its a wire bottomed cage with the solid bottom below. Or if you can't take the wire out, then put a blanket or some kind of resting board down for him to stand/lay on. Wire is bad for their feets.(but with a lop, it should have enough foot fur to be alright on wire)

MDF is the abbreviation for Medium Density Fiber board. They sell it at the hardware store in huge sheets that are 4ft x8ft but they also sell it in narrower widths such as 12 inch. It's one of the cheapest wood like materials they sell. It's like the material they use to make cheap bookcases and you can find it laminated but for you're purposes the basic is fine. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask for MDF they can take you right to it. You can also find carpet remnants there, but maybe not small enough for this project. A great place to look for a scrap of carpet is craigslist in the free section. Just for future projects, if you need them to at Home Depot, they can cut those big 4x8 sheets down.

Megan

Thank you thank you :) I will attempt making a ramp after I make my NIC cube playpen! Jeepers! This little bun has me turning into a construction worker :D

No kidding!! I just recently got back into buns and I was looking back at my old posts and remembering all the crazy things we used to do for our buns. But we learned a lot of really good lessons and are that much more self sufficent because of our experiments with rabbit cages :D In fact a couple weeks ago I ran across plans for making a bed frame that I'm really excited about trying. Don't think I'd be that confident to attempt such a project without all the lessons we learning in bunny cage building :D

Megan

Latest posts

Back