Cage Help!!! Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha Way

Reaction score
I have had my bunny, Peanut, for about a year now. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I just have no clue what to do. Her cage smells and is always a mess. When I adopted her she was in bedding which didn't work because she would dig and kick it out of her cage. Then I tried a cage with a wire bottom and while it did help the mess, it still smelled horrible and once finding out it was bad for her feet, I took that out. Now I have a blanket and a litter box but nothing I do helps litter train her, causing her to go all over the cage. It smells horrible, and looks disgusting because she just rolls the blanket up so it's covered in feces. This also causes her paws and bottom to get dirty easily. Please help, I'm desperate.

I have had my bunny, Peanut, for about a year now. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I just have no clue what to do. Her cage smells and is always a mess. When I adopted her she was in bedding which didn't work because she would dig and kick it out of her cage. Then I tried a cage with a wire bottom and while it did help the mess, it still smelled horrible and once finding out it was bad for her feet, I took that out. Now I have a blanket and a litter box but nothing I do helps litter train her, causing her to go all over the cage. It smells horrible, and looks disgusting because she just rolls the blanket up so it's covered in feces. This also causes her paws and bottom to get dirty easily. Please help, I'm desperate.
Hi, what have you tried to train her? You need to get good litter for her litter box and make sure that only her toilet smells like toilet, keep her floor hard uncovered and clean any puddles with 5% white vinegar to remove smells. You need to control her every time she pees outside the box wipe it with paper towel and put it into her toilet, and clean where she peed with vinegar.
What litter you use for her toilet?
I find that best litter is pine wood pellets with some chopped hay on top of them.

Can you post a pic of her cage and toilet and all?

Last edited:
^Agreed. A photo of your setup would help us get a better feel for what you have going on. In the meantime, take a look at the following pages on my website. They explain and show how to setup a litterbox to your advantage for easiest litter training:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
With the right setup, it really should be quite easy to keep the cage odor-free. I've used this setup for years now and can say that, with one rabbit, I can go a full week before having to change the litter box. The setup is key -- box size, litter, and maintenance.

Those are good articles, I found a few more tips in there I'd missed before! You guys are fabulous! Anyone if okay, I have a litter box question that I hope no minds if I ask it here since we are already talking about the process. Apologies if that is rude. Anyway, I am also litter training, 6 month old, from breeder, intact, been at it a little over a week. She is spot on as long as there are no soft surfaces in cage, you add one little fleece or mat and the urine spots come. My question is when can I expect to be able to add soft surfaces? Planning to spay as soon as I can get scheduled, first vet appt is Thursday. Thank you!

Those are good articles, I found a few more tips in there I'd missed before! You guys are fabulous! Anyone if okay, I have a litter box question that I hope no minds if I ask it here since we are already talking about the process. Apologies if that is rude. Anyway, I am also litter training, 6 month old, from breeder, intact, been at it a little over a week. She is spot on as long as there are no soft surfaces in cage, you add one little fleece or mat and the urine spots come. My question is when can I expect to be able to add soft surfaces? Planning to spay as soon as I can get scheduled, first vet appt is Thursday. Thank you!

The real answer, possibly never. Maybe as she matures or after you get her spayed it could help, but some rabbits, fixed or not, just love to pee on soft things no matter what. And for that you either need to not give them soft surfaces, or just plan on washing them regularly. For now I would remove all soft surfaces that she likes to pee on, get her spayed, wait about a month after, then maybe try again. Give her a few chances as she may initially pee on it being a new thing in her area, but then not do it again.

Latest posts

Back