Cage for my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudreyKKH

Reaction score
Hello! Is this cage bad for a bunny? The proportions are 160x60x50.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200804_143318.jpg
    Screenshot_20200804_143318.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 69388_pla_ferplast_kleintie_2.jpg
    69388_pla_ferplast_kleintie_2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 27
Hi! Welcome to the forum! It depends on how many buns you have, how big they will be and if they get any free roaming time.
If you have one of any size or two of smaller sizes and they get room outside of the thing for 3+ hours then i'd say that it's a decent size for a base. If they don't get out from that at all though, then the bare bones minimum would be 3 square meters of floor space.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! It depends on how many buns you have, how big they will be and if they get any free roaming time.
If you have one of any size or two of smaller sizes and they get room outside of the thing for 3+ hours then i'd say that it's a decent size for a base. If they don't get out from that at all though, then the bare bones minimum would be 3 square meters of floor space.
Hello! Well I have one small bunny but when I let him outside he's exploring things just about 10 minutes and then he gets back to his cage :/

Hello! Well I have one small bunny but when I let him outside he's exploring things just about 10 minutes and then he gets back to his cage :/
He's just probably new to your household, give him time and increase his space slowly so he doesn't get spooked. If he gets plenty of space outside that thing then it's a fine size for spending the night in!
Share a pic of him!

Last edited:
You might want to consider getting an ex-pen to help limit his roaming space - initially. As Catlyn mentioned, it's a good idea to allow limited roaming at the start. It actually helps them feel more secure. His 10 minutes out demonstrates this as it shows he considers the cage his safe zone -- which is just what you want! Too much space offered at one time can not only be intimidating, but it can also lead to potty accidents. By expanding the roaming space gradually, it helps ensure consistent potty habits.

On a side note, I noticed the hay balls hanging from the cage. Those may be fine for entertainment but are not sufficient for hay feeding. I can't see the bottom of the cage, so I don't know if you have hay elsewhere as well. If not, I'd suggest providing hay in either the litter box or a large hay feeder. A rabbit should eat his body size in hay every day and the hay should be very easy to get.

No cage is big enough. It is very sad that these types of cages are sold for rabbits. They are entirely unsuitable. Bunnies need 60 square foot 24/7. No need to buy a cage at all, just a few litter boxes and some hiding places with at least 2 exits is all they need.

Very popular choice is not using a rabbit cage.
Get an xpen or a large dog kennel. Can be found in pet stores or amazon.
We have a flemish and his home base is an xl large dog kennel.

That cage is okay it all depends on the size of the bunny ☺ Smaller breeds it will work but for larger it won’t have enough space. You have a small breed so it will be okay.

My bunnies often binkies and do zoomies in the cage. It becomes a safe zone where they know no one will disturb them. Just make sure your bunny get enough outside time and maybe fix a run around the cage.

Hi Hermelin ! :D , I'd love to see a pic of your cage as I can not imagine binkies in a cage, how big are your rabbits too?

Latest posts

Back