Cage for first ever rabbit! Tips, suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cati

Reaction score
Hello!

I am hoping to get my first rabbit in a few weeks, and I am in the process of building and setting up a cage. Here's what I have so far:

cage.JPG

I'm looking for advice, criticism, etc. so I can hopefully improve and fix things before the rabbit comes home! :)

First, the cage size. It's 6 ft wide, 4 ft deep, and 4 ft tall with roof. Made it using a dog pen, cube squares, zip ties, and binder clips. The floor is foam tiles covered with a whelping blanket for puppies, with cardboard on top. (I'd like to get rid of the cardboard once the bunny is litter-trained, don't know if that is feasible). Are there any "gotchas" I need to know about with this sort of enclosure? Anything I should watch out for to prevent escapes? The rabbit I am expecting to get will likely be medium/large sized as an adult.

Second, the table is 29" high. Is this a dangerous height, or will a bunny be okay with that?

For a litterbox, I want to try out the Tidy Cats Breeze box with some hay (didn't get any yet) so I put that in there -- I will replace with something normal if it doesn't work out. When litter-training, should the hay exclusive go in the litterbox and hay bag, or should I put some elsewhere?

I didn't buy food dishes yet, but it's on the list. My plan is one for food, one for vegetables, a gravity waterer, and a hay bag that I want to hang over the litterbox. If the table is safe I'd like to put the food/maybe the litterbox on the second level, but I assume I should wait until the bunny is bigger for that since I'm not sure how well a young rabbit can manage steps.

I realize I do also need to get toys and other things for enrichment, but I'm not sure what to get. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, how much space should be left open for running around and not taken up by objects?

Last thing -- I have cats, and I could use some thoughts on the cat situation. Although I do plan on letting the bunny out in the rest of the room when the cats are not around, I would ultimately (not immediately) like to be able to let the cats in the same room as the rabbit unsupervised while the rabbit is in the cage. Is that safe?

Thanks everyone for any feedback you can provide. I do want to try to get this right!

Let's see... overall you have a good start! Since you've already started using zip-ties, I'd suggest using some to secure a mid-level in the cage (midway between the floor and table) but on the right side of the cage. That would make half this new level under the right side of the table and half of it connected to the front of the cage. This arrangement would make the entire floor of the cage useable and also add a 2' by 4' extra level. The steps then don't need to be used at all. That would be better because they just take up space unnecessarily. Bunny can hop to the mid-level and lounge there, or hop up to the table.

Both the table and the mid-level shelf should be covered. If that table has that vinyl that my similar table has, then bunny nails will cut right through it and then likely get chewed. You could clamp some fleece to the top.

I have that Tidy Breeze box for my cat. It will not work for rabbits. Hay has no odor absorption whatsoever. The grid that is made to allow urine to pass (with pad in tray underneath) will also do nothing for urine odor. Rabbit urine odor is baaadd!! You need an absorbent litter like wood pellets to soak up that urine. Those wood pellets won't work on that green tray. They'll just clog up the slots. The Breeze pellets won't work for the rabbit poos because they can't be scooped out like big ol' cat poos.
A plastic storage container from Wal-mart will do much better. Hay can (and should) be placed on top of wood pellets. Check here for photos of a good setup:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
I'll break this up into a couple posts...

Last edited:
Regarding the carboard, litter training and putting hay anywhere else during training... all of that rather depends on whether you're getting a rabbit from a rescue. For a first rabbit it is very, very strongly advised to avoid getting a baby rabbit. I know most people think getting a baby rabbit is the perfect choice and ideal and adorable. It is not. Many times here on RO have people come on asking this very question and were advised against getting a baby. Those that ignored that advice almost inevitably regretted that months later. Here is more on that.

By getting a rabbit from a rabbit rescue (different than generic shelter), you get to see the personality of the rabbit you are getting. If you were hoping for a certain temperament, that's the only way to find out. A baby's personality seldom represents their adult personality. And, no, a rabbit won't bond with you any better and like to be held if you get it as a baby.
Also, rescue rabbits are already fixed (saving you hundreds of dollars in spay costs). Since they're fixed, they are often already litter trained as well (saving you lots of frustration).

With a rescue rabbit, you can probably skip the cardboard. Just put hay in the litter box. Keep the litter box on the lowest level. And you won't need to worry about dangers of upper levels (as you might with a baby). [The wider openings of the dog crate portion of the cage are also a danger for a baby rabbit.]

Food dishes can be put wherever you like. :) If you do a search on this site for toys, you'll find lots of ideas for DIY toys you can make with cardboard, branches, TP tubes, etc.

Thank you so much for the advice!

For the mid level shelf, I really, really like the idea, just not sure how to make one with limited tools -- main reason why I went with the table and steps since I don't have anything for woodworking. I could make a mid-level with some of my extra wire squares and cover them up, but what I can use so it doesn't droop in the middle? If I slide some pieces of wood or something below the squares, would that support it?

I double-checked the table --it's solid plastic, no vinyl. Does it still need to be covered?

Thanks for letting me know about the litterbox, awesome to hear from someone with experience with it. I'll get a plastic container ready instead.

I'll look at your resource on baby versus rescue rabbits and see what else I can find, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't been able to find any rabbit rescues in my area, unfortunately -- not even the local humane society has rabbits -- but lots of breeders and a couple rehoming ads I can consider. :/ I think/hope I'm prepared for dealing with a baby rabbit if that's the only thing I can find (first time rabbit owner, but I've worked with feral cats and horses so I fully expect shenanigans). If I get a baby, I was leaning toward getting a male since I could get him fixed earlier -- that is true, right?

Thanks again.

You're welcome! Yes! You can put a piece of wood across to support. I'll look for a couple photos that may show this. Once I had a metal shelf bracket thing lying around and made use of that to support a level.

If the table top is plastic, it's a good idea to cover it so it isn't too slippery.

If you let us know what state you are in, we can probably find a rescue. There are more around than people realize and many are surprised to find out.

This is an old cage of mine with that metal bracket supporting the lower shelf. The shelf is just the grids with scrap carpet on top.
1651114217549.jpeg

This is off another site but shows the 1 x1s used for support.
1651114339885.png

You should be able to use a 1x2 slid into the grid square spaces to support a shelf made from the grids. A dowel or any type of strong rod zip tied to the grids, will work for floor supports as well. Then foam tiles cut to size, can be put on the grid to be the floor for the shelf. This is how I did my rabbits home base cage. Another option is to have a piece of plywood cut to size for your shelf instead of using grids. Then cover the plywood with stick on textured vinyl tiles.

This was mine. I used1x2's as floor supports, the floors were wire grids covered with a piece of cardboard then foam tiles over that. Though there is a bit more to mine, as I screwed boards together for stronger support and to have a floor border around the floor edges.

full

Awesome pictures! I have an idea of what I can do now. I need to get some more supplies, but I think I know how to get a mid-level shelf in there.

I have not read all the responses, so please forgive me if this has been addressed. You set up looks super. Lucky bunny. I would rethink the waterer though. Rabbits typically drink better from bowls. And more water is always better. I have a heavy crock bowl that is actually for a small dog and my monster cannot tip it over. I would stay away from plastic bowls, but if you can't get a heavy crock, one that you can somehow attach is a good idea.
I used a grated litter box, mine was from Busy Bunny and I use Okocat litter. It works REALLY well to control odor and is easy to pull out the clumps. I used the less fine version. It is not dusty and it works great. I put it under the grate and then cover the grate with hay and put that next to his hanging hay feeder. Rabbits love to eat sitting in litter boxes for some weird reason.
I have two cats, one is 15 lbs and huge. He watches Dash, and will bat at him with no claws thru the pen bars, but most of the time really enjoys sitting in the sun hanging next to him while Dash is in his pen. I don't let Dash loose in the house because he does not do much except sit under chairs and the table, but when I do, the cats give him a wide berth. They have sniffed him a few times, but they really are not interested in him. He is only 5.5 lbs, but that is big enough that it does not trigger their prey drive. If you get a baby, definitely don't let the cats anywhere near him until he is grown enough not to look like prey. Maybe feeding the cats near his pen might help them acclimate to him.

Do not use any clumping cat litter. If the rabbit gets to it and ingests any, it can kill him. The poster above puts a grate over their litter, but if the rabbit is able to get to it, that is a potentially dangerous situation.

As mentioned already, a very popular (and incredibly cheap) litter, is the wood pellet litter. These are not wood shavings, but compressed wood pellets. When wet, they break down (they don't clump). A 40 lb bag typically costs around $7. These may be sold at hardware stores for use in wood pellet stoves or at feed stores for horse stall bedding.

Thanks all! I'll post an update with my progress probably Saturday. I made my initial attempt at making a shelf and it's going pretty well, but it's not complete yet.

I bought a grated litterbox that looks like a pretty good size, and I will look for some wood pellet litter. I also bought the bowls -- as suggested, I will try a regular water bowl over a gravity waterer and see how that works.

I respectfully disagree about the clumping litter. I have used it for years. I keep enough hay and different types of cuts available ALL the time, and tons of wood, and other chew toys, so I can't imagine a rabbit ingesting clumps of litter that they peed on. And mine is covered by a grate and hay on top of that. The litter I am talking about is wood, not clay or whatever else they make litter from. It works AMAZINGLY. I have no urine smell, is easy to clean out and I can throw it on our manure pile to decompose because it is, well, wood. I did try the pellets and they were definitely not as good as the Okocat. There is non clumping Okocat, but I don't prefer it.
I did use the wood pellet litter for a bit, but IMO it was not as effective as the Okocat.

The dust from clumping litter is also terrible for bunnies PLEASE don’t use it for your bunnies. Rabbits have very sensitive respiratory systems and digestive systems. My bunnies have accidentally ingested many things. It’s not a risk worth taking. I would almost compare it to having lead paints on your walls, maybe not harmful initially but can cause many problems in the long run. Please re consider. If you worry about odor you can get your pet fixed and use yesterdays news which tends to be very odor absorbing

I bought a grated litterbox that looks like a pretty good size, and I will look for some wood pellet litter. I also bought the bowls -- as suggested, I will try a regular water bowl over a gravity waterer and see how that works.

When starting with a litter box, I would begin without the grate on it. The grates are only needed for those occasional buns that want to dig it all out. It'll be easier to just have the pellets with hay on top. Do you have the dimensions of the box?

When starting with a litter box, I would begin without the grate on it. The grates are only needed for those occasional buns that want to dig it all out. It'll be easier to just have the pellets with hay on top. Do you have the dimensions of the box?

I do! It's 22 inches by 18 inches, 3 inches tall. The grate is removable. Didn't arrive yet though, so no pictures.

And eeeeeeh, I could use more advice on the mid-level. Good news: it's sturdy. Bad news -- not really sure what to do with the over-layment?

Here's what it looks like:

outside.JPGinside.JPG

Because of the table legs I couldn't do the full 4ft by 2ft (had to leave gaps), but the shelf seems sturdy. I'm use the cube squares zip-tied together some wood to support it, and binder clips part of the way on one side (shown in first picture) in case I need to get in and out there. I cut some foam squares to size and put on top. I used some painter's tape to cover some of the harsher edges, but is painter's tape safe? I can remove it.

On top is a whelping blanket cut to size and not fastened to anything, but as you can see, it sticks up and doesn't look great. Any suggestions there? Did I use anything dangerous to bunnies that I should undo?

And question about the zip-ties. I have been clipping them short, but they keep leaving rough edges. Any tips to fix that?

Use a file to file down rough edges. Also make sure to have plenty of enrichment toys. The bun may be intrested in chewing the cardboard. If you need toy ideas or anything else let us know. We are here to help!

Back to the store to get a file then, LOL. Thanks!

I'd love some toy ideas. Here's what I have ordered so far:

A grass house: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HMYQ1JP
A foraging mat: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0967YKRKN (If my bun is not already litter-trained, I may delay putting this in because it is *very* soft and probably tempting as a "litterbox").
Grass mat with assorted toys: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B096XZWPPP
Some hanging chew toys: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B099KFKH39

• A plant-based litter that’s a clean and healthy option for your family, both furry and not-so-furry.
  • The biodegradable wood fiber is sustainably sourced, responsibly rescued and works to naturally prevent enzymes from bonding with liquid and waste, halting ammonia odor before it even starts.
  • Absorbs liquid on contact and creates solid clumps for hassle-free scooping. And it’s flushable—simply scoop and flush one clump at a time!
  • 99% dust-free so you and your feline can breathe easier. The wood fiber is de-dusted and screened.
  • 100% free from artificial fragrances, synthetic chemicals, toxic dyes and GMOs.
Just because I don't want anyone to think I would endanger my rabbit with a product I use, the above information is directly from the Okocat product description.

I respectfully disagree about the clumping litter. I have used it for years. I keep enough hay and different types of cuts available ALL the time, and tons of wood, and other chew toys, so I can't imagine a rabbit ingesting clumps of litter that they peed on. And mine is covered by a grate and hay on top of that. The litter I am talking about is wood, not clay or whatever else they make litter from. It works AMAZINGLY. I have no urine smell, is easy to clean out and I can throw it on our manure pile to decompose because it is, well, wood. I did try the pellets and they were definitely not as good as the Okocat. There is non clumping Okocat, but I don't prefer it.
I did use the wood pellet litter for a bit, but IMO it was not as effective as the Okocat.

That's good that you haven't ever had it cause health issues with your rabbit. Keeping it covered with a grate and hay seems to have helped mitigate some of the risks of it's use. But any members or other rabbit owners reading this thread, need to be made aware of those risks, as there are most certainly risks with any clumping litters use when it comes to rabbits, even plant based dust free clumping litter.

There have been members here and other rabbit owners elsewhere, that used clumping litter and it ended up causing a gastric obstruction in their rabbits, and in some cases it proved fatal to the rabbit. I remember one member a while back, had his rabbit in his work shop, and he would come on here sharing stories about life with his rabbit. His rabbit later passed away, which he learned was due to a gastric obstruction caused by the clumping cat litter he had been using in the rabbits litter box.

The problem isn't to do with the type of litter, whether clay or plant based, but has to do with the litters moisture absorption and clumping action. It's not just ingesting clumped peed on litter that's a problem, but ingesting any of the litter, especially the unclumped litter that hasn't yet absorbed moisture, whether purposely eating it or inadvertently when grooming(eg. grooming litter stuck to the feet), that poses the risk.

The litter when ingested, will absorb and 'soak' up fluids in the digestive tract, drying out the food and contents passing through the digestive system, which can slow the rabbits digestion to the point of causing GI stasis, which can then lead to an obstruction. It's for these reasons that any type of clumping litters use is warned against when it comes to rabbits. Because it is a known safety hazard, due to the reported GI stasis episodes and rabbit deaths that have occurred from it's use.

It's an individual choice, whether you or any others decide to use clumping litter, despite the possible risks. But here on RO, as moderators, we cannot let known high risk suggestions on rabbit care be posted, without voicing a warning about the opinion or suggestion being given, or in some cases posts will be deleted when highly dangerous advice or information is given. You offered suggestions based on your experience, and a warning of it's danger was given based on our knowledge and experience. So let's call the discussion finished with no further debate on the matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back