Cage bottom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle Helfand

Reaction score
what do you put on the floor of your cage? Winston loves to spill water and poop everywhere... we’re still working on litter box training. The tarp thing isn’t cutting it for me

Thanks!!
GG

Attachments

• 35A37A6C-7D33-4F29-A836-3AA7A8A1A19D.jpeg
    35A37A6C-7D33-4F29-A836-3AA7A8A1A19D.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 16
If he isn't potty trained yet (should happen after neutering, if not before) you'll want something wipe-able. You could just get a piece of rolled linoleum that has a good amount of texture to it to keep him from slipping. Some rabbits do better on it than others. Just keep the edges beyond the pen so that he can't get to the edge and chew it.

If you do that, you could also get some fleece fabric to fold up to make a soft lounging area.

Alternatively, (and depending on how much work you want to put into it) you could create a wood floor out of plywood that has a lip around it (made out of something like a 2 x 3). That 2x3 will hold the x-pen in place. The wood can then be covered with either rolled lino or stick vinyl squares.

I found this on google to show what I mean about the wood floor with lip and vinyl stick:
pen.jpg

The space can also be made much larger by incorporating the existing walls of the room as part of the cage. With a corner like you have, it can be even larger than what I show in the following photo that makes use of just one wall (as opposed to a whole corner). This just shows how an x-pen can create a larger space if it isn't circled back around on itself.

upload_2018-10-10_16-22-33.png

Potty trained to us means they use a litter pan for urination. They will poop all over, some as marking-only had 2 out of 47 that would use their pan for everything and that changed as they became geriatric. My wife used to take a bunny to her classroom and we used a tarp with a piece of indoor/outdoor on top. Gave good traction and was easy to clean.

Unless they are neutered, then even poops should be in litter trays all the time!

@Gayle Helfand I've just upgraded my bun to a bigger cage and covered most of the bottom with cardboard. I'm using cardboard for several reasons:
1. It's easy to dispose of if he ever pees on it for whatever reason
2. It's free/cheap and easy to come by - we always have tons of cardboard from online purchases, etc.
3. It's safe for him to chew on and ingest, and also serves as a toy

Cardboard is not soft and comfy to lay on, but that's fine. He's a free roaming bunny most of the time. His cage is just a homebase with his hay/food, water, and litter box. I've opted to not put a blanket or anything soft for him as he used to pee on towels and anything soft. If your bunny doesn't pee on blankets, or if you want to anyway, you could put a fleece blanket in there for him.

This is how Luigi's cage is set up:
BJlzP.jpg

Latest posts

Back