Buying Oxbow Hay in bulk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As of Dec 1 2011 Oxbow will no longer be taking phone orders directly from their headquarters in Nebraska . They are directing people to Dr Foster and Smith . Bacially it is more costly to order from Dr F&Sbecause although shipping charges are absent over a certain $$ amount the hay is priced ridiculously high so it is not really any deal at all.

I have been buyingseveral 50 lb boxes about every other month for years now and wonder where others order from ?
I only order in bulk

Thanks

Maureen

I get mine from pet food supplies. They give a discount if you sign up for auto refill, plus they 're always sending me 15 present off emails.

Yep, that's it. I've only had my bunny for about a month, but I've been feeding it to my guinea pigs for years. I've always found it to be good quality and fast delivery. I also get oxbow pellets from them.

I order my hay and pellets from Sweet Meadow Farm in Massachusetts. The hay is fresh all the time and my rabbits love the timothy pellets as well. Shipping is not cheap but I find I save a ton ordering from there rather than buying at the pet store. I usually buy the 14 pound bulk box and it lasts a couple of months with my two little guys.

Sweet Meadow Farm

angieluv wrote:
As of Dec 1 2011 Oxbow will no longer be taking phone orders directly from their headquarters in Nebraska. They are directing people to Dr Foster and Smith. Bacially it is more costly to order from Dr F&Sbecause although shipping charges are absent over a certain $$ amount the hay is priced ridiculously high so it is not really any deal at all.
Hi, Maureen.

I get what you're saying about Drs. F & S charging so much for 50-lbs. of hay, since the company charges $65 for the bale. (I suspect the extra cost actually includes shipping charges, which the company claims are null-and-void. Uh-huh...)

At the end of the day, the price is nearly the same between both companies--at least for me in IL. (It cost me $63.44 to have a 50-lb. bale shipped from Oxbow's headquarters; the same bale from Drs. F & S will cost about $65 [pre-tax].) At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the company claims the cost of the hay and/or the shipping is, if the pricing is still essentially the same. It all comes out of our pockets, yes? :(

Jenk

pipwin wrote:
I order my hay and pellets from Sweet Meadow Farm in Massachusetts. The hay is fresh all the time and my rabbits love the timothy pellets as well. Shipping is not cheap but I find I save a ton ordering from there rather than buying at the pet store. I usually buy the 14 pound bulk box and it lasts a couple of months with my two little guys.

Sweet Meadow Farm
Just a quick thanks for this site. Looks like I found my new spot to order from since they are only one state away.

Junkie2 wrote:
Just a quick thanks for this site. Looks like I found my new spot to order from since they are only one state away.
Consider yourself very lucky to live that close to Sweet Meadow Farm. It cost me about $71 dollars to have a 50-60-lb. bale shipped from them, when I was buying from them.

Jenk

Are there any stores in your area that carry Oxbow? They might be able to order you the hay. You would have to ask about the prices, but they might be able to get a better deal than ordering it online. Even if it is close to the same price, you are supporting a local business rather than some online store.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Are there any stores in your area that carry Oxbow? They might be able to order you the hay. You would have to ask about the prices, but they might be able to get a better deal than ordering it online. Even if it is close to the same price, you are supporting a local business rather than some online store.
It's been my experience that retailers tack on shipping and overhead charges, making the hay even more expensive. Case in point: Only one store semi-close to me carries 50-lb. bales of Oxbow hay; last time I was there (more than a year ago), the price was $85. :shock:

My husband and I had to give up on the idea of buying Oxbow locally; it's even more ridiculously expensive than paying to have it shipped, which is already very pricey.

Jenk

cloutier39 wrote:
Do you have an Agway near you? I get a bale of hay for $10!
I'm unsure to whom this question is directed, but I looked up Agway for the heck of it; there doesn't seem to be one anywhere near IL. :(

Those of us who live in a metropolitan area are taken advantage of in terms of prices we're expected to pay for things that people in rural areas aren't expected to pay. It is truly unfair.

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
cloutier39 wrote:
Do you have an Agway near you? I get a bale of hay for $10!
I'm unsure to whom this question is directed, but I looked up Agway for the heck of it; there doesn't seem to be one anywhere near IL. :(

Those of us who live in a metropolitan area are taken advantage of in terms of prices we're expected to pay for things that people in rural areas aren't expected to pay. It is truly unfair.

Jenk

I got a little chuckle out of that response because I actually live in new york :).

I understand though, before I found agway I was paying $50 s bale at my vet. And for 3 rabbits it doesn't last very long.

Latest posts

Back