Buying hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biya

Reaction score
Hello! I've had my sweet boy, Ocean, for a year now of whom eats so much grass and the grass! Omg! It gets expensive! I currently buy him 10lbs bale online which lasts him 2 weeks but the chance that it's a good bale is such a gamble. Often I receive old, burnt, dry grass that would be cruel to feed him and because I've opened the grass to examine it I can't return it or get my money back (I've tried) which is such a waste. The grass I can return are at local stores but the amount they sell is so small and twice as much. I recently saw that a farm semi near me, the only farm that sells grass, sells a combination bale of Timothy and alfalfa but I heard alfalfa is not the best for adult rabbits? I'm on the fence on getting any and I'm just so stressed over this, owning a rabbit has been such a joy if only I could get some tummy good hay for him. Anyway my question is if I should get the Timothy alfalfa mix or if anyone has any good grass company/site they recommend that sells at least 10lbs bales? Or if anyone faces the same thing over hay? Would love the comaradry! thank you

FL Dept of Agriculture listed some common hays grown in that state. It looks like one of those is Bermuda grass hay. I happen to use that often for my rabbits as well.

Not sure where in FL you are, but I'd suggest googling feed stores in your area. They typically sell full or half bales. I would look for that bermuda hay and avoid the mix with alfalfa.

The full bales are super huge (more like 100 lbs). Here's a photo of a full bale. This cost me about $ 17 and lasts 2 rabbits about 8 months or more. That's with me being super generous with it. I put large amounts of it in the litter box twice per day.
upload_2019-5-27_22-12-49.png

Definitely second what Blue Eyes said. Keep looking for another feed store or farm near you that sells bales. I may be in Ohio, but I get half bales of Timothy for $7, and for 2 rabbits I've barely put a dent in my latest bale in the 2 weeks I've had it. And I'm more than generous. I drive almost 15 miles because I live urban, but it's very worth it!

Latest posts

Back