Buy Cottotail Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kroftjm

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying wild cottontail rabbits to stock on my property - not to hunt, but just to enjoy. I haven't seen a rabbit here for over a year . . .
Does anyone know where I can buy wild cottontail rabbits?

Since most states make it illegal to own cottontails as pets, that would presumably mean that no one can own them in order to sell them. Wildlife re-habbers may occasionally have rescued cottontails. Don't know what protocols they have for determining where any such cottontails would be released. Perhaps you could contact local wildlife sanctuaries to find out & offer your property as a release location??

I'm interested in buying wild cottontail rabbits to stock on my property - not to hunt, but just to enjoy. I haven't seen a rabbit here for over a year . . .
Does anyone know where I can buy wild cottontail rabbits?
It is probably illegal to sell and buy wild animals in your state. Also you have to consider their habitat and predictors in the area. Cats are notorious for killing rabbits, happens all the time in my area.

Thanks, but . . . I called the PA Game Commission prior to posting my question - they indicated it is not illegal to stock cottontail rabbits nor is it illegal for a licensed wildlife propogator to sell them. The habitat is excellent, but as is the fate of rabbits, virtually every predator likes to eat them.

If you are in Pennsylvania, then perhaps the Game Commission can direct you to one of those in-state licensed people if they are permitted to sell them. No cottontails are permitted to be transported into the state due to the risk of RHVD.

We are also cottontail fans and encourage them on our property. For a long time we thought they had been wiped out by vehicle traffic and predators because we no longer saw them grazing in the evening.

But... we set up a trail camera and are pleased that it is capturing hundreds of pictures of a pair of cottontails that hang out in our yard. We rarely get the thrill of seeing them first-hand as we once did; but, at least we have the reassurance that they are still around.

Buns_two0182.jpg

Thank you Orrin for those pictures! My friend would release on our property years prior, however loss of habitat (humans removing brush piles, thicket, hiding places, evergreen trees) and abundant predators have made eastern cottontail chances of survival impossible.

My frieend would likely release here again as we do provide areas near the house and purposefully leave brush piles in the yard but I'm not confident they would survive long.

Kroftgm, I hear you. We receive positive energy by seeing them.

We, too, have built a large brush pile to provide security for our cottontails. We are also fortunate to have plenty of juniper shrubs where coyotes and raccoons can't go; but, the bunnies can.

We didn't, however, know if our efforts were paying off until we set up trail cameras. They capture pictures of all kinds of predators in our yard; but, whenever bunnies show up, later, we breathe a sigh of relief.

The worst cottontail predator, by far, has been house cats. We now keep ours indoors and do our best to keep feral cats away.

Latest posts

Back