Butterscotch has eczema, or something that looks like it...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greta

Reaction score
So, he picked up a couple of fleas awhile back, and I thought his patcheys of flakey, irritated skin was flea allergy dermatitis. Two weeks after Advantage, it's still there. Now I'm not sure what the cause could be. He hasn't had any new foods or anything lately that he could be allergic to. He hates me touching the patches, and the fur comes out like he's shedding... except he's not. My poor little man...

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? :(

b74b6012a5.jpg

90b4cfdf2b.jpg

83de06ab26.jpg

Do you have access to a microscope (even a kids' kind?) or a really good magnifying glass? You can take a piece of clear tape and put it on that spot and then look under a microscope or good magnifying glass and sometimes see the mites. I sorta like to do stuff like that personally LOL! I'm a science geek type so sorry.

Anyhow, I'd definitely get him into the vet and have it checked. It's a real easy fix for it from what I was told. My vet uses topical ivermectin. Luckily I didn't have to do that but they said we could just incase cause it's not dangerous.

You HAVE to have the vet prescribe the correct amount tho.

edited just to reiterate that I would get him to the vet.

Ooooh, definitely vet time. That can be a parasite, fungal, bacterial... you really have to have them take a look.

Poor Butterscotch! He's in good hands, though. :kiss:

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

sas :bunnydance:

Looks like mites to me as well.When I got Sawyer he had a bad case ofmites. Looked like he had a bad case of danduff.

He may need Ivermectin injections. It is a series of 3 shots spaced out over 6 weeks.

That's what my neighbour's bun, Bubbles, looked like when he had fur mites, and it was a pretty easy treatment as far as I can remember. I'd say a quick vet visit too, Greta. :)

:goodluck Hope you get well soon Butterscotch!

Looks a lot like when my boys had mites. Im not sure about Advantage, but Revolution should treat both fleas and mites. I would ask your vet about that. Its much safer than Invermectin and you just apply a few drops to the neck.

When I first saw it, I thought mites too, just like everyone else.

I haaaated mites. When macey had mites, her fur looked like this. It was kinda hard, and under it was lots of flakes.

mitesyi7.jpg

But wewas in petsmart one day, and I decided to try this stuff

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752081&cp=2767038.2769320&fbn=Taxonomy%7CMedications+%26+Supplements&fbc=1&clickid=topnav_dropdown6_link10&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

I figured since it worked on fleas and ticks, why not mites? I didn't really know how much to put on her, so I sprayed her twice a week and her mites went away afew weeks after using it.

So maybe that might save you a trip to the vet.

Remember, to clean everything of hers so she doesn't get mites again if that's what it is.

It's only been two weeks since the Advantage. Has it gotten worse? It's possible that it's a superficial pyoderma or other skin issue related to the flea allergy dermatitis.

I wouldn't automatically assume fur mites. If it is, Revolution isn't particularly effective against Cheyletiella spp.

I'd bring him into the vet just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back