Butterflies in hay,is mothball safe to use??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengisudeveci

Reaction score
İs mothball (naphthalene) harmful to rabbits? I‘ve found butterflies in my rabbits hay and i dumped it.However i still find butterflies time to time in other hays. My mother says we should place mothball in the closet where we keep the hay ( we will move the hay to another place) so it kills the butterflies. We couldn’t think of other solutions beacuse i know insecticides are harmful to rabbits. But maybe mothball is safe ?

I’ve heard about old household remedy that lavender or cedar wood (or cedar wood oil) will help keeping moths away. But we might have different moths kind and might not work with your moth. I’ve never tried it but it’s a tradition to have dried lavender to keep away moth that eat cloth and cedar wood was for moth that like fur.

Otherwise you will need to find a better way to store the hay.

Actually those butterflies or at least their offspring is just some fine extra protein for your bunny :D, if the problem isn't so severe that the hay gets really spoiled (then I would wonder if it's stored dry and airy enough).

Hope Chests were either made of Cedar or lined with it as it's toxic to insects, but also deadly to rabbits and other small mammals. Unless it's overrun with worms and moths, I would just make sure to keep it in a sealed container.

Latest posts

Back