But It Has Only Been One Day!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I just got this bunny and I desperately do not want to lose it. I think I am overreacting though, I though that it was normal for a 6 week old bunny, very young, being taken away from the pet store, which it has known, and be put in a strange home. Don't get me wrong, I am taking great care of it, but it still must feel funny. Anyway, she isn't doing anything!

When she is outside the cage, she runs around, hops on me, plays. Inside the cage it is a different story. She just sits in a corner and doesn't move. I have been watching her, and for like the past 3 hours she hasn't moved, but once again, I took her out of the cage and she was fine. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?

Is she resting? Rabbits will rest for hours on end, usually with their eyes open. The are the most active in the morning and evening and rest during the day and night. They do sleep sometimes, although some rabbits make a point of not letting you catch them asleep.;) She could also be bored. Do you have toys for her that she likes?

Rabbits like all sorts of things. You can do a search on toys to find more. Here's one thread to get you started:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11458&forum_id=1

My rabbits like untreated wicker balls and baskets, noisy toys like plastic key rings (made for babies) or plastic jingle bell toys (made for cats), pesticide-free apple twigs, and some of the scented wood chew toys that are made for rabbits. I tie these loosely to the cage with sisal or just put them on the floor. Newspaper is great- bunched up, lying flat, or with one end stuck through the cage bars. Cardboard toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay, paper lunch bags stuffed with hay (with holes poked in it and tied shut with twine), cardboard boxes with two bunny-sized holes cut in them. Different rabbits like different things, so don't get discouraged if your bunny doesn't like one particular thing.

She/he is feeling the fear of confinement. It will take time for it to
realize that its cage is not a prison...that it's no longer in the pet shop,
and that it will, at times, be allowed to run freely. Within two weeks,
your bunnies personality will blossom.

She's fine. The first couple of days with my new baby she just sat in the corner of her cage occasionally getting up to go to another corner and sitting. She did this for about two days, and it's been just a bit over two weeks and she's been keeping me up with her hyper running around the cage and jumping on her box!

She also could be just deciding what she thinks of her new home :)

dootsmom wrote:
She/he is feeling the fear of confinement. It will take time for it to
realize that its cage is not a prison...that it's no longer in the pet shop,
and that it will, at times, be allowed to run freely. Within two weeks,
your bunnies personality will blossom.
:yeahthat:

Give her some time to get used to her new surroundings. Several of my bunnies seem to prefer their cages over free run time. Silly bunnies, but there's a lot going on in my place with the kids and the dogs.

Toys are a good idea, as Naturestee mentioned. A grass mat, a hidey hutch, things hanging and attached to the sides of the cage, plastic balls w/ bells. One of my buns LOVES her wiffle ball!! My buns all have (safe) blankies, too....Tootsie will often sleep under hers.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back