Busy Day at Hill Rise!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillrise

Reaction score
Today was a very busy day for me with the bunnies. Chela, my oldest New Zealand doe finally had her babies this morning (she'd been nesting like crazy since day 27, and today was day 32). There are now 6 little pink babies in the nest! Yea!

Also, we left early this morning to get some Rex from an acquaintance who decided that she just didn't have time for show rabbits. All in all, I acquired 7 new rex, 6 of them does, all seniors, one of the does very recently bred. One of the does even has two legs, although she's 3 years old, so it's unlikely I'll be able to earn her that last leg for grand championship (we'll see). Unfortunately, she wasn't kidding about not having had time for them. All of them had TERRIBLY long toenails, some so long that they were affecting the way they walked, and the nails were growing sideways! Eek! I got the nails all trimmed down, and brushed out the rabbits.

Whew! Bunny Daze. :D

:X:bawl::rip::twitch::pullhair::tantrum:

I take that back. Just got back from checking on the rabbits again. All of the babies are dead. My best guess is that they all died from the heat. They were scattered throughout the box, all with their tongues sticking part way out and their mouths open. Some of them had moisture in their mouths/nostrils. It's possible they were trampled, but they all retained their shapes. The only reason I even think that is because some of them look a little bruised, although that's possibly just the blood pooling in the body.

I feel bad for the momma after she spent so long making the nest. I just hope she doesn't get mastitis from losing the litter.

I've never seen a newborn litter die of heat stroke before, but it was exceptionally hot here today (weather says it was 90, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been closer to 100), and I've never thought to try to cool nestboxes before. Anyone have practices for late summer nesting? The rex doe I just got is probably pregnant, so she'll be having her kits at the very hottest part of the year here.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I'm anxiously waiting to see if my mini lop is going to deliver buns, she's due end of this month.

I don't have any advice except maybe try bringing them in the house for a few weeks.

Again I'm sorry you lost your babies. :(

Oh my that would be a shock to me if I saw that. Poor momma though. I agree with you that hope she deals with it ok and doesn't get stressed out or anything.

So sorry that you had to go threw this! I feel for you!!!

That really sucks. What a hard come down from your initial excitement.

I think I'm quoting the wrong one here, but doesn't parsley help them get over mastitis quicker without pain?

Yeah, I read about some herb that does something like that...I think I might have actually seen that list yesterday before I found out, but it just didn't register because I've never had a litter that was born alive all die (had one litter that was born on day 38, I think, that was three oversized stillborns; and another litter of 2 that lost one at two weeks, otherwise it's been maybe one or two lost in litters of 9 or more)

I see mint listed to give at weaning.

You can place a bottle of cool water in the nestbox to help cool it down. Also take away at least half of the hair. If it is very hot take it all away and don't let the babies get covered up in the bedding.

Latest posts

Back