Buster and Tuckers Neuter.........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndsy

Reaction score
Well, we go in for our big snips on Friday!

The monkeys have NO idea whats going on, but......

i'm soooooo nervous!

I'm sure the vet will give me some advice, but, what advice can you guys give me?

Any would be welcome, i've done this with Daytona, and it was hard tokeep him from licking and what not. Quite a few sleepless nights...:?

So, what should I be prepared for?

should I change thier litter to something more soft, am I going to be camping out in the jungle for a few nights?????

any advice you could spare will help,

Monkeys!:D

My vet told me nolitter. We used large strips of newspaper. Sebastian was a little slowfor a day or two but other than that he was just fine. It's much easieron the boys than the girls from what I hear.

He was very, very happy to see me when Ipicked him up though. He had never been left before, or away from us.When she handed him over to me he scooted right up my chest and upunder my chin. I got kisses and then he stayed there all the way home!:)

Raspberry

I wish I could offer advise but I can't.I can say that I find myself watching the calendar too. I just want youto know that you are not going through this alone. I will be here foryou no matter what you need ok. You and the Monkeys are in my prayersSweetie.

Love,

Tina, Jeremy, Apollo, Christa, and Hopi

Right here with you, Lyndsy. We'll go through it together.

The monkeys are at a good age and are strong and healthy. You're doing the right thing.

As Raspberry said, I'd go with stripped newspaper and no litter. Littercan get stuck in the wound and you'd have to be concerned aboutinfection.

Make sure they can walk into their litter box. Sometimes, when they first come home, they don't want to hop.

You might want to keep tabs on how they're drinking. Some rabbits,after they're out of the surgery, don't really wish to raise theirheads if the waterbottle is up too high. Some prefer a bowl of waterthe first day.

I'm sure you have NutriCal because I think I remember talking to youabout it, but if you don't, it's good to have on hand. Ask if you don'thave it and want to get it. It'll boost their immune system the dayafter, and increase their appetite, as well as give them some nutrientsthey may have lost during the previous day's events.

Give them each something with your scent on it when you drop them off.I know it sounds silly, but it'll give them comfort and know thatyou're coming back.

Prayers start now for the Monkeys.

As Raspberry said, it's much easier on the boys than the girls. Mustless invasive. The vets know what they're doing these days, and I knowyou've done your homework on your vet. Letting Go is always the hardestpart.

-Carolyn

P.S. Make sure you have their favorite treats on hand when they gethome. Many aren't hungry, but the minute you see them nibble a bit,it's a good sign.

Generally speaking, rabbits won't eat when they're in pain. (another good reason to have the NutriCal on hand)

More important than anything else is that you remember that this isgoing to be okay. The monkeys are so attached to you, that they'll pickup on your nervousness.

Believe in your heart and have faith, and know that you have a verygood vet, who has done this operation many times and know what he/she'sdoing.

They don't often lose rabbits on the table anymore, Lyndsy. You have agreat vet and I know that the monkeys are in good hands - at thehospital, and when they get home.

Are they coming home on Friday night? What time is this all happening?

Wow, I can hardly believe they are old enough tobe neutered. I swear it was just yesterday that you broughtthem home. I can't offer any advice yet, but I too will begoing through it in the next few months. I want to get movedand settled first.

You and the boys will be in my prayers.

Jen

When i got my oreo neuterd he was out of it for acouple days, make sure he has alot of water as they will drink alot.Good luck with the neutering!

Thank you all for your thoughts, and advice, it sure means alot to us, here in the jungle!:)

Carolyn, they go in on the Friday, at 8:15 am, and come home arounddinner time. So i'll have them home that same night. I've got somenutri cal because of Daytona, how much do I give the mokeys, if I haveto?

That's wondeful advice to leave something with my scent on it withthem, we did that with Daytona, and Wendy, my vet said he snuggled withit the whole time... I will for sure be doing that again!

I will have to cut into thier liter boxes so they can walk into it.Right now they each have a cat box, and have to hop to get in them. Thenews paper idea was great as well. Thanks!:D

I know they can sense my emotions, so i'll try to keep it a minimum... :?

and i'll be sure to have some spring mix ready for them... as you all know the monkeys LOVE that stuff!LMBO!:D

I can't believe how fast the time goes... I too feel as thought theyjust came home, but they're both ready for the surgery... testicleshave dropped, and nastyness has come out... LOL!

again thanks for all of your support, i'll kepp you all posted, Fridays comming quick!

Monkeys!:p

HiLyndsy!

I'd give them an inch of NutriCal each dayfor a week,orat least until they're eating theirfoodagain.

I can't believe how time has flowneither.

-Carolyn

mr lick's neuter went *very* well. he was eatingas soon as they let him when he woke up :) no problems eatingwhe he came home.. like raspberry said, use newspaper :) vet told me todo that for about a week. mr lick's was a little slower, butin two days he was back to his old self! though a bit miffedbecause he had to spend his nights in the cage for a day or two.. wecould not keep him from jumping, running etc.. he didnt really botherthe wound at all.. we watched it for a week, flipping him over to makesure it wasnt inflamed or oozing..

so your monkeys will be ok :) just a little snip snip lol!

Couldn't hurt! They probably won't need it, but why not have it there if they do want a nibble?

-Carolyn

what about thier salads?

my vet already thinks i'm nutz! when Daytona went, he had, a blanky, a toy, some food, and a bottle of water...

LMBO!

I already wrote their names on their travel homes, and put them in thier cages to get used to them...

anything else I can do to try and prepare them?

:)

I'm sure the vet will think you're nuts - becauseyouare.

I wonder if you prepare yourself so well when youhave to pack for something.

Maybe a couple pieces of lettuce would be nice. They'llprobably be sleeping most of the day, so don't need a lot.

-Carolyn

LMBO!

Carolyn, when Peter and I go away, I have a list, and that list turns into a bunch of smaller lists...

It's CRAZY!!!!!

I won't bother than with their salads!

Monkeys!:p

Agreed, Lyndsy. I don't think thesalad'snecessary.

They probably won't eat, but what the heck. Might as well have it there just in case.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back