Busted lip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abelia

Reaction score
Hi guys actually this is my first time posting here and I’m in desperate need for advice. I just realised that my 1 year old bunny has a wound on her bottom lip.She is acting normal and she still has appetite but it looks really painful and I’m so worried.I don’t suppose she has overgrown teeth or something.I don’t know what to do or how to heal it.I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice.0F052219-22A5-40B2-85FA-3637DA0DEB51.jpeg

Hi guys actually this is my first time posting here and I’m in desperate need for advice. I just realised that my 1 year old bunny has a wound on her bottom lip.She is acting normal and she still has appetite but it looks really painful and I’m so worried.I don’t suppose she has overgrown teeth or something.I don’t know what to do or how to heal it.I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice.View attachment 49178
Poor thing! I would wash it gently with a mild soap daily, lightly patting and rinsing with sterile water if you have that available. Distilled or very pure water is okay too. I would take a photo in 2 days. If it is not improved I would head to the vet. It very much could have been due to her teeth and it might need to get checked out.

We don't know what caused this maybe it was just an accident and it is just healing scab. I wouldn't use any soap or anything would just watch it for a couple days if it is not getting worse it will most likely just heal by itself. If you see any inflammation redness etc around it I would make a compress with strong black or green tea just hold for a few minutes 2-3 times a day, or use other herbal teas, sage, thymes, no sugar of course.

You can use saline solution (salt water) to safely clean all kinds of wounds.

Her teeth look fine as much as I can see from your photo so I would say it was just an accident and if there's nothing got into that open wound she's not in pain it's just some broken skin and there will be no sign of it in a week or two.

Please keep us updated on how it goes after a couple days.

Thanks for all your advices!I just cleaned it with salt water.There is no sign of inflammation but I’ll make a compress with sage just to make sure.And I think it is caused by the sharp side of a plastic crate which I use for storing hay. It looks like while she was trying to open it she cut her lip.I will make sure it won’t happen again.The bad thing is that there isn’t many rabbit friendly vets in my country.I hope it heals soon. I will keep you updated.Thanks again!

B4748DCE-5718-4F44-A1A1-0513B09A53A6.jpegHi guys!Thanks to your advices it’s almost healed now.But it looks like the black mark will stay even it heals completely.Cause the plastic crate that cut her lip was black.Anyway I am really happy that she is fine now.I really appreciate your help!

Latest posts

Back