Bunster's area smells.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
We have Bunster in our den, which is probably the worst place in terms of air circulation, it tends to also be the place where food smells congregate. And now it smells like Bunbun's .. litter and food. The pellets seem to have a fishy smell. The litter smells like poop and pee. Anyone have ideas? Other than cleaning out his box more often? I was trying to go one week between each box change since switching him to a huge box, so I could use less stove pellets each month, but things smell. And I'm not even sure it's the box, which is mostly covered in hay so it shouldn't be emanating a ton of smell right? It seems to be his area in general.

Thought about getting one of those expensive air purifying things, but not sure those actually help with smell.

Here's what it looks like, does anyone see any red flags? Bunster's actually using his water bottle in one of the pics! Never seen him do that before.

Attachments

• IMG_1803-1.jpeg
    IMG_1803-1.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1805-1.jpeg
    IMG_1805-1.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Is it the wet saturated pellets that smell or are you saying the dry wood pellets smell fishy?

oh I think I'm talking about his food pellets lol. But I changed his litter box out today and it's much improved so maybe it was that after all.... o_O

You could try cleaning out the damp hay more often. I do it at least twice a week. Also you can spot clean saturated spots instead of having to dump the whole thing. Some rabbits like to only pee in one spot and that spot can get saturated more quickly and need more frequent cleaning. I have a rabbit that does it and I just scoop that one corner more regularly. If a spot gets too saturated it will start to get that fishy smell. Also make sure to layer your pellets deep enough. I do about an inch and a half in mine. Too shallow doesn't work as well, but you also don't want to go too deep because of the expansion when they get wet.

Latest posts

Back