Buns favorite toy/ toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Button

Reaction score
I’m wondering what your bunny/ bunnies favorite toy or toys are. I have tried several different enrichment methods with Emmi and NONE have worked so far she only seems interested in her food dispensing toy (pictures below) but I think that’s only because it has her pellets. But then she isn’t always interested in it so I have to put a bowl with food in her pen. Also she is getting bigger than a mini lop so I think she is a mixed breed. I’ll put my most recent picture of her on here. Also she is no longer full time out side. At nights she is put into our garage in two attached dog ex pens. Also I’m wondering if 3/4 cup a food is too much for her as it seems she is getting over weight. She’s now 8 months old.A299FE03-A46E-492B-A7E7-D193D5A549C0.jpegFC45CC88-6548-460A-816B-84BBB5251E6F.jpeg

3/4 cup of pellets a day is much more than needed at this point. You could down to 1/8 to 1/4 cup now that she is an "adult", in rabbit pellet terms.

One of my rabbit's favorite things to occupy herself is cardboard cat scratchers. I either hold it for her or attach it to a pen wall so she can really dig and chew and pull at it.

Should I decrease the pellets gradually? Like giver her 1/2 cup tomorrow and for a few days then down to 1/4? I’ve really never had the problem of an over weight rabbit😬

Should I decrease the pellets gradually? Like giver her 1/2 cup tomorrow and for a few days then down to 1/4? I’ve really never had the problem of an over weight rabbit😬
I don't think there's any need health-wise to make it gradual as long as she has access to plenty of hay 24/7 to fill the rest of her stomach.

She does not eat her hay and I’ve tried sprinkling herbs on it. I still giver her plenty of hay but she just doesn’t seem interested.

She does not eat her hay and I’ve tried sprinkling herbs on it. I still giver her plenty of hay but she just doesn’t seem interested.

Lawrence didn't seem interested in hay either, but he would play with a hay toy. I think his increased hay intake is partially due to us making a game out of eating hay... Might be worth a shot?

I’m wondering what your bunny/ bunnies favorite toy or toys are. I have tried several different enrichment methods with Emmi and NONE have worked so far she only seems interested in her food dispensing toy (pictures below) but I think that’s only because it has her pellets. But then she isn’t always interested in it so I have to put a bowl with food in her pen. Also she is getting bigger than a mini lop so I think she is a mixed breed. I’ll put my most recent picture of her on here. Also she is no longer full time out side. At nights she is put into our garage in two attached dog ex pens. Also I’m wondering if 3/4 cup a food is too much for her as it seems she is getting over weight. She’s now 8 months old.View attachment 56399View attachment 56398
My first bunny Tuli is very picky when it comes to toys but I have found that fresh apple wood and willow is her favorite. I have both growing at my house, she wont play with the willow ir apple I buy cause it gets all hard.

Maybe try palm leaf Bowls Tuli LOVES those and she also LOVES dried herbs sprinkled over hay cause then she has to dig for them.

If she doesnt like palm bowls or willow/apple wood then try to get one of those combo pack toys online cause then it gives you a bunch of different textures and that way you can find out witch one she likes most.

Mya
[/QUOTE/]

If she doesnt like her hay maybe try a different kind!

My bunny Tuli doesnt like timothy hay but loves her orchard grass, you could also try other kinds of hay (research them first)
Like rye or oat hay.
If she doesnt like the one you have just try a different kind!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours seem to favor cardboard boxes and paper bags. They also like the rolls that paper comes on--TP, paper towels and xmas paper--funny to see them drag around the huge xmas ones, but, the favorite is the fort/castle I make out of boxes with 2 rooms for each level and 3 or 4 levels.

Try different types of grass hay. If still no luck when you've reduced the pellets, get her teeth checked by a rabbit vet.

I don't think there's any need health-wise to make it gradual as long as she has access to plenty of hay 24/7 to fill the rest of her stomach.
Ours seem to favor cardboard boxes and paper bags. They also like the rolls that paper comes on--TP, paper towels and xmas paper--funny to see them drag around the huge xmas ones, but, the favorite is the fort/castle I make out of boxes with 2 rooms for each level and 3 or 4 levels.
Oh I would really like to see a picture of that. I need some creative help

I would gradually decrease the pellets at first until you start seeing her eating hay well. So maybe start with a half cup, then see if over the next week, she starts eating hay better. If she does, then depending on how big of a rabbit she is, stay at 1/2 cup or reduce to 1/4 cup. Recommended pellet amount for pet rabbits, is about 1/4 cup per 5 lbs of ideal body weight, though that will vary depending on your rabbits metabolism and individual needs. I would gauge the amount of pellets to feed based on if she's eating at least a pile of hay the size of her body per day, her being able to maintain a normal body weight, and her producing healthy looking good sized fecal poop.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
If she gets to eating a pile of grass hay the size of her body when also eating a half cup of pellets per day, is maintaining a good weight on that amount, and has healthy looking poop, then that's the diet I would stick with. If she isn't eating a pile of hay the size of her body per day but is maintaining a good weight or is overweight, then I would decrease pellets again, to 1/3 cup per day and see how she does on that, checking body condition once or twice a week, to make sure she doesn't start to lose too much weight and get skinny.

http://ontariorabbit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BCS_Rabbit_Final_Approved.pdf
Make sure the hay you're feeding is good quality horse hay(no mold, no noxious weeds, not too dusty, not too sunbleached). If she still won't eat the hay you're using, it might be worth trying a different kind like others have mentioned, like timothy, orchard, oat, bermuda, rye, etc. or a different cut of hay like first, second, or third cut. Some rabbits prefer a crunchier more mature hay like first cut, some a leafier hay like second or third cut. I prefer a second cut that is a mix of leaf and stem.

But you also have to balance protein levels and fiber in a rabbits diet. First cut grass hay usually is hard stems with more fiber and less protein, second cut is usually a mix of leaf and stem and so a good mix of fiber and protein, and third cut is usually leafy and has more protein and less fiber. Too little fiber and too much protein in a rabbits diet can result in weight gain and/or slow digestive function. Too little protein and too much fiber could result in too much weight loss and nutrition related health issues. So it always has to be in balance.

If she still won't eat hay despite trying different types of grass hay, and/or she starts losing too much weight on the decreased pellet amount, I would suggest getting her teeth checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, like Diane R suggested. Rabbits can get sharp spurs on their molars like horses can, and it can affect their ability to eat hay and sometimes other foods.

Medirabbit: dental issues

Vet List | House Rabbit Society

For toys, my rabbits like fresh willow and apple branches, willow toys, and a cardboard dig box filled with crumpled newspaper.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm

Last edited:
there used to be a "cardboard castles " posting with pics from everyone--don't know if it's archived or just gone like so many other things here.

You can do a forum search for the term and it brings up some threads, though I don't know if any are the one you're thinking about.

Latest posts

Back