Buns and Vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruka

Reaction score
I often read people take their bunnies to thevets', but how often should you take them? Do rabbits need vaccinations(Hawaii is rabies-free.) My girls had only seen the vet at the humanesociety where I got them from.

No, your rabbits should not need vaccines.

Barring any illnesses or injuries, a once yearly check-up is usuallysufficient. If your rabbit(s) had a chronic problem, or were geriatric,then perhaps more often would be necessary.

A yearly check-up is a good chance for your vet to get a good baselineon your rabbit(s). In the event that your bunnies needed treatment,your vet would have some idea of what is/isn't normal for yourrabbit(s).

At the check-up, your rabbit(s) should be weighed, haveeyes/ears/skin/teeth all checked to see that their normal. Sometimesvets can pick up on things that we (as owners) have missed. Be preparedwhen you come in to give an exact assesment of diet (what are they fed?how much pellets? etc), plus information on housing and behavior.

Also, ask your vet what you can do at home between visits to make sureyour rabbit(s) are healthy. How do I check their ears? What shouldtheir skin look like? How should their back/legs/belly feel? What's thebest way to weigh them? (keeping track of weight losses and gains canclue you in to illnesses before they become serious)

In the event of an emergency, you want to have a good workingrelationship with your veterinarian. This may just be the vet studentin me speaking ;), but your vet is a partner in the health andwell-being of your rabbit(s).

:)

Latest posts

Back