Buns and Cats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
Might sound like a stupid question, it would seem obvious you would think. Belle (fat cat) loves to be in Lucy's room but how do I know if Lucy likes Belle to be in her space. Belle has never hurt Lucy but she does swat at her when she runs by, I suppose like she would a kitten if it were in her face. Belle is very curious about Lucys' cage, in fact over last weekend I was building Lucy a new NIC cage so I had her in a smaller cage, Belle however was right in the middle of the NIC cage as I was building it.She trys to get into it even now that Lucy is living in it, I don't allow it because I know Lucy likes her own space, I don't know if she can smell the litter box and wants to check that out or if she wants her own NIC.

Sometimes it seems like Lucy teases Belle, zooming around at top speed but then other times she couldn't care less and ignores her. Belle has skin allergies and absolutly love sit was Lucy will dig on her back, she will roll around like she is saying " okay now over here and now a little over here" but yet she refuses to give Lucy theany grooming, Lucy will ask but Belle will just turn away like she is way better than that.

So anyway, how would I know if Lucy likes Belle in her room or would perfer to not have company?

Thanks,

Joy

That probably depends on your bunny, as to how you tell. If your bunny freezes, or looks scared, or gets tense then she probably doesnt like her about.

We had one bun that attacked the cat at every possible moment. We have another who falls asleep with the cat purrs next to him. We also had another one who escaped and then followed the cat around because,presumably, it was the only thing he knew and recongised and viewed it as safe.

Lucy might not mind Belle around her whilst she is in her hutch, but I would be very warey of allowing them to be together.

Our cat snuck into one of my buns hutches, and was there when I put the bun back, unbeknown to me.

The cat clearly groomed the bun, but also swatted it once, and gave it a small cut on it's nose.

My bun died the next day from what was presumably pneumonia, so even though the cat was ok with the rabbit, so a certain point, the rabbit was scared senseless.

Remember that rabbits are prey, and cats are predators, which rabbits know.

If you do allow them to be together, please please keep them supervised.

I have 2 cats. One thing I can say is if your cat isn't declawed I wouldn't let them swat at the buns. My 2 are declawed and try and play with the buns when they're running around. My 2 don't seem to mind the cats, but the cats don't bother with them that much. My cats have also went inside their big NIC cage, if I see them in there I make sure I get them out. They're just being curious. They never hurt the buns, the buns are actually quite curious about the cats. But they've both been around the cats all their life.

My advice is not to trust your cat 100%. Always keep an eye on them when they're out together. But I believe they can get along, mine do.

DSC00830a.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

I have two kitties, myself, (and have had over twenty total in my life) and I have to say...your Belle is interacting much more with your Lucy than my kitties will interact with my buns! :)

So, you've already got a good start there!

I would recommend trimming your Belle's nails, just to be sure she can't accidentally hurt Lucy when she swats at her, but as long as they're supervised, there shouldn't be a problem. (Let me know if you need a site that has instructions for trimming kitty claws. It should be done probably once a week, and you can do it with regular toenail clippers.)

As far as Belle not grooming Lucy, don't worry about that.Kitties just have too much pride to return the favor between species! Hehe! :)

Anyway, I think your babies are doing GREAT together! :)

Wonderful job, Mommy! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. I would say that Lucy definitely tries to get Belle interested. Flower does that with our kitties...bunnies love a good game of "chase". :)

my cat & bunny get along great too

we got the buny when my oldest cat died at age 13

we did not want emily to be loney but did not want another cat

at first I think that she did not know what cocoa was & now when cocoa is out emily will play with him only when she wants to

cocoa03300700002.jpg

cocoa03290700023.jpg

cocoa03300700019.jpg

cocoa03290700025.jpg

they need to be watched together cause you never klnow If the cat will try to get the bunny for lunch or something it may never happen but being the wild animals they are you can never be to sure

Kathy

i love the cat and bunny pics, they are cute. I have a cat that i would let hang out with my bun, but only supervised of course. She has her claws and i get afraid that if the bunny does something to her she might use her claws as a natural instinct, but i would not let any of the other cats near the bun i dont trust them. Willow (cat) is forever rubbing up against the cage when she see's Belle near the front of the cage, willow is a very luvable docile cat, but still a cat none the less. She, willow , use to jump up on the tray to the kids walkers and the kids would grab at her and pull her hair and she would just jump down , shake it off , and then jump right back up for them to scoot her all around the living room, lol, she isnt always the brightest. i could not keep her off there tray to save my life so i just gave up.

here is a pic of Willow and Belle and i was right there on top of what was going on, i was more afraid of the cat rolling over and landing on top of Belle and squishing her,l ol

HPIM0887.jpg

HPIM0892.jpg

Crystalballl wrote:
I have 2 cats. One thing I can say isif your cat isn't declawed I wouldn't let them swat at thebuns. My 2 are declawed and try and play with the buns whenthey're running around. My 2 don't seem to mind the cats, butthe cats don't bother with them that much. My cats have alsowent inside their big NIC cage, if I see them in there I make sure Iget them out. They're just being curious. Theynever hurt the buns, the buns are actually quite curious about thecats. But they've both been around the cats all theirlife.

My advice is not to trust your cat 100%. Always keep an eyeon them when they're out together. But I believe they can getalong, mine do.

DSC00830a.jpg
i love this pic it looks like they are having a stareing contest, lol

What beautiful pics you all have. :) I never get good pics of Milly and Keyra, although it does'nt helpsince they are both black.

Milly absolutely adores my cat Keyra. He follows her around all day long like a lost puppy. I'm not sure if he is confusing her with his mother or not (same colour/size), if thats possible. She is normally very good with him but gets a bit annoyed with him running around her sometimes. She eats his hay, drinks his water and sleeps in his bed and Milly loves it! :) She actually licked him yesterday, which will of made him happy.

My other cat Casey can not be trusted at all she has too much of a preditor instinct in her. Poor cat, I've hardly seen her since Milly arrived she knows she is not allowed anywhere near him.

My cat is 14 and I have had all my bunnies for about a year. She is very good with them, doesn't really pay that much attention at all even if there is a rabbit flying right past her in the backyard. Whenever I have baby bunnies she loves to be around when I'm playing with them and cuddling them, she associates the rabbits with extra attention and so views them as a positive thing. She doesn't even mind when the bubs are trying to play with her tail but I also never leave them together without me being right there.

The only close call I have ever had was when one particularly nasty rabbit was being too in her face and she was trying to get away. Hechased her right under the table where I couldn't get to him and tried to bite her and she started hissing at him, she gave him a few smacks on the head with no claws out and then I managed to grab him. He was a real rascal that rabbit, even used to chase me and try and bite my feet, I didn't blame her for whacking him but at the same time I could see she was only doing it as a last resort.

Latest posts

Back