Bunny's poops have gone dark, small, and sporadic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
Today, I noticed my bunny's poops have gotten smaller, darker, and less abundant than usual. He usual eats a ton of hay, poops lots, and flops over. He didn't really do any of that today. Should I give him infant gas drops? Will call the vet tomorrow morning but I want to try this since I can't get him there till then.

I know a change in poop is cause for concern and indicates some health issue but I'm trying to remain calm. Any advice would be appreciated. Nothing has really changed in his routine but we did go away this past weekend with him to my parents. But he was fine till now and it's already Thursday.

Update: He just flopped over with his legs stretched to the side which I'll take as a sign he's relatively comfortable?

Last edited:
You can give him some baby gas drops. Three doses, one hour apart. 1ml doses each. Has he eaten any gassy foods, such as broccoli or kale?
you can give him a stomach massage, as shown in this video to help him pass any gas that he might have:
For now, just try to get him to eat some hay, top up the hay often, you can add some dried herbs to make it look appetising. I’ve found that if you hold a few strands of hay, right by the rabbits mouth, they’ll pick it up in frustration and sometimes will try to eat it.
You should also try to get him to run around that will help release some gas. If it gets to a point where he hasn’t eaten for several hours, call a vet.

Today, I noticed my bunny's poops have gotten smaller, darker, and less abundant than usual. He usual eats a ton of hay, poops lots, and flops over. He didn't really do any of that today. Should I give him infant gas drops? Will call the vet tomorrow morning but I want to try this since I can't get him there till then.

I know a change in poop is cause for concern and indicates some health issue but I'm trying to remain calm. Any advice would be appreciated. Nothing has really changed in his routine but we did go away this past weekend with him to my parents. But he was fine till now and it's already Thursday.

Update: He just flopped over with his legs stretched to the side which I'll take as a sign he's relatively comfortable?
My Fred doesn't drink much, in fact only 50-70 ml daily, he has no problem with bottle and drinks more after he had pellets, so his poops are smaller, darker and drier than say Bernie's she drinks 200-300 ml per day easily, her poos are huge and more like golden, very perfect. She eats tons of hay so drinks a lot. Fred's poos are also perfect but different. He eats enough hay and is very healthy never misses his cecals and all, but he doesn't eat that much hay as Bernie. When he drinks more his poos get bigger so it depends how much he drinks.

If you think there's something not right with his stomach if it's not soft and feels like rocks inside or bloating, if there are poos irregular shape or pasty stinky zeppelins then it's time to worry, usually baby gas drops and massage on early stage would help, if not then visit your vet. But if your diet is healthy and he eats regularly by his routine there shouldn't be any problems, try to feel his stomach it should be soft

Latest posts

Back