Bunny's leg in unnatural position after injury, need some advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sound like an excellent and well-educated rabbit mom! It also sounds like you have a lot of options available for the break, which is excellent. I know there is an old fashioned pining method where the break is pinned for several months and then removed with local anesthetic, preventing the need for a cast or permanent pin, which a bun might be a good candidate for! Best of luck to you and Shaylin!

Vet Update: The visit went well, she was not stressed, but probably a bit irritated she had to be kept in a transporter for those 3h. Everybody at the clinic was very nice and kind, both to me and to Shaylyn. They took another x-ray from a different angle (from the side). The result showed a very complicated fracture, with many separate pieces. The orthopedist told me as is: he can perform an operation in which he would use a bar and a couple of rings to fix the pieces in place, but because the fracture is 8 days old, and the callus has began to form, he cant guarantee that it would be worth. He cant tell for sure if the bone blood vessels and nerves would be able to connect properly, therefore, even though the bone would look good on xray, it wouldn't be functional and she would be exactly the same as now.

On the other hand, she is in no danger! Callus will contrinue to form, and will prevent sharp bones from damaging the tissue nearby, the leg is in no risk of dying out due to cut circulation or nerves, so there is no risk of sepsis! The leg will heal abnormally, but she will be able to use it to some extent. Of course, over time, depending on how much she uses it, the muscles may become stronger or weaker, can't tell that right now. I've asked him if amputation is an option we should be looking at, and he said no, as there is absolutely no need for that!

Having this in mind, i've decided not to opt for surgery. She is in no life risk right now, and the mild pain will go away in a couple of weeks. The surgery has no guarantee it will fix the little leg, and would put her life in risk, and major stress and pain afterwards.

As I've said, I love her the most no matter what! I was just with her in the garden, she was so happy and adventurous, jumping around, sniffing everything and munching on greens. :) What a real fighter! Spreading her positive energy even when in pain! I will update from time to time on how her little leg is doing!

Much love! ❤

Oh my gosh. I am so happy the vet wasn't adamant on fixation device with plate and screws.

Did he advise keeping Shaylyn to a small confined space for several more weeks vs. hopping about in the garden?

Have you got pain meds for her?

Sending big hugs for all the care you provide, and opting to do what's best for her. Glad that amputation or surgical intervention wasn't 100% necessary. Happy you give her TLC to the max and took the time to follow-up with DVM.

3 hours transport time! - She is a trooper. Gratitude for all you are doing to keep Shaylan comfortable and in no pain or danger.

Thank you all for the positive vibes! It means so much! ❤

The vet advised me to restrict her movement. Though she can freely roam in her room, I've blocked narrow passages, so she doesn't hurt herself were she to go through them. The weather isnt very nice right now, but once it becomes sunny, I will take her out to the garden for a bit (30 mins - 1h a day, she lives inside with us).

She had been taking pain meds for the first 5 days from the initial injury, but since she doesnt look like shes in pain, they didn't give me any, so she is medicine free!

Update: The leg seems to be doing great, I can tell it is healing in a semi-unnatural position, but that's okay! Its still functional, shes not dragging it behind, and is using the leg while running around. I can tell it's a bit wierd for her to stand, as the weight on her left side falls on her butt, insted of the leg, but honestly it looks adorable and causes her no harm! She cant quite wash her face with both paws at the same time, so she does it one by one, but sometimes mannages to keep up straight for a couple of seconds before loosing balance. I think she will keep improving over time.

She eats well, and drink her water. Is as playful as always, and doesn't seem to notice there is something wrong with her little leg.
I'm thinking about recording a video of her in a couple of weeks, when the situation calms down. :)

Latest posts

Back