Bunny's hands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsnowy

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a bunny and noticed him keep flapping his hands.
There's something wrong with his hands. Can somebody help me please?
He's a 3 months old minirex.

Attachments

• 20220318_132618.jpg
    20220318_132618.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 8
Yup. something's not quite right. To me that looks like it could be something like urine scald from moist, unsanitary conditions, do you know how he was kept before you got him, how his previous housing was? What does his rear paws look like?

Right now I would give his paws a gently wash (just plain lukewarm water) and rub a little baby oil on. Then make sure they stay dry and see how it goes. Seeing a vet might be a good idea if it's a fungal issue.

Last edited:
Yup. something's not quite right. To me that looks like it could be something like urine scald from moist, unsanitary conditions, do you know how he was kept before you got him? What does his rear paws look like?

Right now I would give his paws a gently wash and rub a little baby oil on. Then make sure they stay dry and see how it goes.
He was kept in a small metal cage with few other rabbits. One of his leg has the same problem too.

Attachments

• 20220318_210735.jpg
    20220318_210735.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 5
Here's another pic of hand. His nose started to have the white thingy too.

Attachments

• 20220318_211131.jpg
    20220318_211131.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3
The bottom of his hands has those pinkish n white crust like thingy. He flap his hands n licks em alot.

ohh sorry, I didn't zoom in on the img but it does look like mites. Might have to go to the vet to be sure. If it is, they should prescribe Revolution(topical medication) or injectable ivermectin :)

is he your only bun and only pet in your home? if not, best to get the others treated also. And remember to disinfect their area so mites won't return :)

Well, as I said, gentle wash and baby oil for now. Whatever was the floor (normally good sized wire floors are pretty good) wasn't nice to his feet. Somewhat unusual that the front paws are more effected. If it's something like a fungal infection I would see a vet. Nose is a moist area, and it's where his paws go quite often.

I've never seen mites on paws, they shelter in places where the rabbit can't groom them off, like behind the neck or in the ears.

Well, as I said, gentle wash and baby oil for now. Whatever was the floor (normally good sized wire floors are pretty good) wasn't nice to his feet. Somewhat unusual that the front paws are more effected. If it's something like a fungal infection I would see a vet. Nose is a moist area, and it's where his paws go quite often.

I've never seen mites on paws, they shelter in places where the rabbit can't groom them off, like behind the neck or in the ears.
Yea, I straight gave him memory foam flooring after I took him home. His body, ears n eyes are fine. Only his hands, legs plus nose are affected. The vets nearby doesn't know about rabbits. I just got a fungal spray online for rabbit today. Will try on him and see how it goes. Thanks!

ohh sorry, I didn't zoom in on the img but it does look like mites. Might have to go to the vet to be sure. If it is, they should prescribe Revolution(topical medication) or injectable ivermectin :)

is he your only bun and only pet in your home? if not, best to get the others treated also. And remember to disinfect their area so mites won't return :)
He's the only rabbit. Others are 2 budgies and a zebra dove and they always try to stayed far away from him.
I clean his area and litter daily. I'm hoping it's not mites.

Please do not use any medicated sprays on your rabbit if you do not have knowledge on whether it is rabbit-safe, and especially when a rabbit-savvy professional has not been consulted. You don't want to unintentionally make things worse.

The paw positioning when lounging is likely due to how uncomfortable/painful the paws feel due to their condition.

Are there any rabbit rescue/organizations local to you or social media groups centered in your area who you can reach out to for referrals to the most rabbit-savvy veterinarian? Considering this is the condition you've received him, having a proper exam, in addition to getting a professional to look at the paws, would be wise.

He's the only rabbit. Others are 2 budgies and a zebra dove and they always try to stayed far away from him.
I clean his area and litter daily. I'm hoping it's not mites.

do you disinfect the area also? not just regular cleaning, has to be deep clean to kill any germs/viruses/mites :)

Not mites. Keep to simple things like water and baby oil for now. See a vet. No chemicals and desinfectants if you do not know what you're dealing with exactly.

Just provide a clean, dry environment, big guns cause collateral damage.

Hm, learnred something new about mange mites, didn't know those target the feet....

Latest posts

Back