Bunnyproofing!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola's Mommy

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here (I am very experienced with rabbits) and I would like to know a few tips on bunny proofing because everything I've tried my rabbit has chewed through or 'digs' through. Please and thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I'm new here (I am very experienced with rabbits) and I would like to know a few tips on bunny proofing because everything I've tried my rabbit has chewed through or 'digs' through. Please and thank you.
Could you be more specific? What is he chewing through? Is he chewing a barricade of some sort? What is he digging? Maybe a photo of what you are dealing with would help.

I actually used those videos... she tore through or she dug the tape of my baseboards and dressers. She chewed the wire cover I had. And I don't have a store close that has 2 by 4 wood planks (the closest is 4 hours and I don't have the time).

Last edited:
I actually used those videos... she tore through or she dug the tape of my baseboards and dressers. She chewed the wire cover I had. And I don't have a store close that has 2 by 4 wood planks (the closest is 4 hours and I don't have the time).

Those videos, while they have some good info, seem to be somewhat limited to her experience with the one rabbit. Each rabbit is so very unique and bunny proofing that works for one rabbit may not work for another.

For example, when I skimmed through those videos and saw the tape being used as a deterrent to chewing, I questioned that in my mind. Apparently it works for that rabbit, but I know of plenty of rabbits that would make short work of chewing through it.

That's the trick of bunny proofing. It has to be tailored individually to each unique rabbit. If one thing does not work, than one needs to get creative and try something else.

Some other things to try (though a photo of the areas would be helpful) would be sheets of plexiglass for in front of the area. For baseboards, I used 1 x 3s tacked to baseboards (any home improvement store will carry them). There are Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware stores dotted all over the state of LA. Any are a great source for bunny proofing supplies.

If the flexible cord covers are getting chewed through too quickly, then you could try some pvc type protectors like the ones shown here:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electri...nagement-Cord-Covers/PVC/N-5yc1vZc65eZ1z0usnc

I tried but it won't let me add a picture. But there is nibble markes everywhere and she scratched up my carpet and was nibbling it. But I'm trying my hardest to find new bunnyproofing supplies. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
You could use puzzle mats for florring and block off the area where the wires are. You can also use c and c grids around the baseboards to protect her from chewing them

Latest posts

Back