Bunny won't use her litter box AGAIN :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny56

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know your opinions on this topic cause her behavior is really driving me crazy....
My bunny who is 9 months old and not spayed (female ) used to have good litter box habbits. In the past she once started peeing outside her box but rather than that eveything was fine.
As for the first time, it happened because I gave her more freedom ... And i guess I didn't learn from my mistake and after a few months that she was very good with her litter box I gave her again more freedom but in a slower way. As you can imagine she started againg to pee and poop outside her box.
The first time I was being patient for a month and then she started using it again normally. This time it's been over a month and I see no real progress. I tried to limit her space again, keep her in her pen for most of the day ( in the past she was eventually free to my room and now keeping her in the pen is causing her stress cause i see that she pulls a bit of her fur every day and i feel so guilty about this....). I also clean up to five times per day my tiles with vinegar and place the poops and pee in her box to indicate that that's the place she should go but nothing changes... :(
I really don't know what else to do....
Sorry for the big topic and also for my english as I am not an native speaker.

Last edited:
Spaying her could clear up the issue, if she is doing it to mark her territory, which hormonal rabbits are likely to do. She's at the right age for these hormonal issues to be happening.

When it's not hormonal but a behavioral issue, then it's down to trying to train her not to do it. But sometimes some rabbits are just plain stubborn and messy, and all you can do is set up an area for them that is easy for you to clean up their messes.

You'll also want to make sure it's not happening due to a health problem as UTI's can cause a rabbit to have uncontrolled accidents. So if she appears to be dribbling urine(little drops left around) and/or has urine soaked or stained fur on her bottom, then this could be the cause of the issue and it will need to be treated with the appropriate antibiotic.

Thank you for your answer !!!

To be honest ( and I know most people disagree with that) I don't really want to spay her. I kind of feel that I take something out of her body that I have no right to. That it's against her nature( ....not that having them as pets is not against their nature ...but I feel that this is different because it has to do with something IN her body...)
Rather than that I still can't find a vet I can fully trust on this operation...

I do believe it's both hormonal and behavior because as u said at this age these things are normal... Is there any other way I can train her without spaying her?
I am thinking about getting a large cage and fill ot with pellets so that I wont have to clean up to 7 times per day her area....which is exhausting!!!

As for the UTI I will definitely check for the signs you mentioned and call the vet if I see something unusual.

*also when she started peeing again outside her box I replaced it with the bottom of her old cage so that she will have a bigger litter box. Do you think this change might affect her behavior?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back