Bunny won't stop humping new baby bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my 5 year old mini lop cross. We recently had his bonded female Luna pass away, and he was absolutely distraught. He has been incredibly needy so we decided to adopt a new baby bunny.
He's been licking her and sleeping with her, and she's been cuddling up to him and doing the same, at least until this morning. We have had to separate them as he has suddenly started humping her constantly?? She's only 9 weeks old so whenever they're together we're watching them so he never actually gets a chance to start humping her, he just mounts her and then we pick her up and take her away.
I'm not sure why he is doing this! If anyone has any ways to prevent or stop this please let me know! They really were enjoying each other's company up until today :/

Is your male bunny neutered? (Probably is if he was bonded to another bun) If so, then there's nothing serious to worry about, pheraps he just wants to make sure that he is the dominant bun.

Is your male bunny neutered? (Probably is if he was bonded to another bun) If so, then there's nothing serious to worry about, pheraps he just wants to make sure that he is the dominant bun.
Yes he is, I'm not sure whether to just let them sort it out or not as she's so small and becomes so distressed. Otherwise we might just have to have them separated until she's old enough to stand up for herself. He constantly did this to Luna but she'd put him in his place so he stopped, I'm just worried he won't leave this poor little bunny alone until she can assert her own dominance

Yes, that would be a good idea. If they can see and smell each other, and interact in a way that he can't mount her, it'd be a great way to separate them until she is old enough to stand up for herself.

Yes, that would be a good idea. If they can see and smell each other, and interact in a way that he can't mount her, it'd be a great way to separate them until she is old enough to stand up for herself.
Thank you so much

Tabi, for starters, do not create multiple posts for the exact same topic.

These rabbits should not be together at all. You need to wait until the female is spayed and then at least 6 weeks after that before introducing them.
Sorry I wasn't sure which section to put it in and didn't know that was a rule. We don't have them together besides having introduced them which was completely supervised and was only for 15 minutes at a time before he started humping. They have different hutches with different runs and get taken out separately, and haven't been together since. Our rabbit has been struggling with the loss of Luna and even just having another rabbit around that he can see has cheered him up. I appreciate you informing me but I feel that was a little blunt.

Latest posts

Back