Bunny won't stop digging!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

So hears my story- my rabbit Annabell LOVES to dig my carpet and doors (yes doors). She is very smart and has a good memory, for example, she knows exactly what closet her food is kept in and will dig at the door. She is also only aloud in my bedroom at certain times of the day, and if the bedroom door is shut she will dig at the carpet by the door. Sometimes she digs in corners... She will even dig on me if I'm eating and she wants food. Part of me thinks she is doing it for attention, then I also think she's just having fun.

I don't really care that she digs, but I'm worried about her hurting herself by cracking a nail or having a nail get ripped out from doing this.

Besides repeatedly stopping her, any advice on how to get her to calm down a little?

PS she has no interest in any toys, so that won't help distract her.

Thanks!

I have one rabbit that digs, and 2 that don't really care to. It sounds like your bun is a digger like mine! I've never had my bun lose a nail or anything like that. The only way to really stop them is either put something over the spot they like to dig or remove access. I protect my carpet with cardboard that my bun just loooooves to shred.

The digging sounds like she is trying to create a warren to live in cause think about bunnies in the wild dig to create their homes and live in it and essentially give birth in it as well so I think it's quite normal that's she's digging.

Okay I am going to take into consideration the fact that you say she is a smart bun, and she knows where her food is, your bedroom is, etc.. because I have a bun that does the exact same things. My guy doesn't dig to be destructive, but more as if he's saying hey look over here, or pet me. He also digs at my bedroom door, especially if I go in and close the door behind me. I too occasionally let him in with me if I'm just going in and back out. He has eaten one of my phone cords so he was banned. If I have him on my lap for petting, and I suddenly get lax and stop petting him, he will dig my lap. As for the carpet, try setting her up a corner of blankets folded some that you can pin on the edges. Direct her to dig there. We were very successful with this wit my sons bun jovi digging in the carpet corners.

Thanks for the advice! At least I know I'm not the only one with a little digger!

Blankets sound like a good idea. My bunny digs in only one spot in my house in the corner behind my night stand. I took a plllow and just stuffed it back there. Now he will dig for a minute and just lay down. I agree its like a natural instinct for them to dig to make a bedding.

Latest posts

Back