Bunny won't eat hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He gets lots, he has a 5x5 Xpen and he's free roaming anywhere from 3-5 hours a day.
Vet didn't mention medication, he just said it was a common thing. Love to know if anyone else has had a bun with tail problems.
I will try that, mixing some green's in his hay. Thanks

Explore with different types of hay as mentioned above. I would start with Timothy fresh from a farm... There are three different cuts of hay - from really leafy to more stiff strands. With a little bit of research you can explore what types of foods are best for your rabbit! If feeding kale and other gassy foods, make sure it is in small amounts so they do not get an upset stomach. Hope this helps!
If you are desperate to get him on hay, one thing I've had to try before for a diet is cutting out pellets completely. It does sound extreme, but can be useful if done right. They will definitely enjoy hay more. They should eat approximately a compact cube the size of themselves per day for reference.

My bun wouldn't eat hay either. His teeth get too long to chew it, I took him again yesterday for a trim and because the teeth get trimmed straight across and not on the angle which naturally occurs when they chew, my vet told me it will take a bit for him to chew it. I kept trying to get him to chew it yesterday and he finally did.. It's more of shredding the hay, but he's trying. This morning I found him with blood all over his blankets, he's chewing on his tail again. Has done it twice before. My vet said they sometimes have pain in their tails and do that. Of course his teeth are really sharp after the trim and he's going non stop. Have no idea what to do about it. Was thinking of having it amputated next time he gets put out for his molars. ??
Aww , poor bunny !
Hope he's okay !

Hi guys thank you for all the comments super helpful - update is I took him to vet for thorough check up and turns out the wee darling has teeth spores booked in to have them fixed and vet is confident that will resolve his issues - fingers crossed

Hi guys thank you for all the comments super helpful - update is I took him to vet for thorough check up and turns out the wee darling has teeth spores booked in to have them fixed and vet is confident that will resolve his issues - fingers crossed
Good luck! Good to hear it's just the teeth and nothing serious

The only other thing I can think of is to put the hay someplace where he has to chew and tear through it to get so someplace he likes to be. Like stuff his favorite cubby hole with it and he has to remove it. Rabbits love a challenge and love chewing on things that aren't where they are supposed to be, so sometimes a little reverse psychology comes in handy.

Put it where it's in the way or just out of reach and they might go for it.

Latest posts

Back