Bunny won't eat hay after tooth extraction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spedlif

Reaction score
My poor bunny had a bad malocclusion on his incisors and my vet instructed me to remove them so we did, he's well and good, he unfortunately only eats pellets and sometimes vegetables If he feels brave enough and I'm worried for his health, I've tried cutting his hay and try to feed him myself but he's just not interested and I don't know what to do...If anyone has been in a similar situation please give me some tips, thank you!!

How small are you cutting the hay strands? Do you have access to fresh grass(not contaminated with chemicals or car exhaust)?

How small are you cutting the hay strands? Do you have access to fresh grass(not contaminated with chemicals or car exhaust)?
around 5 cm to be specific, and yes I do although It's not much I suppose I'll give it a try, can fresh grass actually replace hay? 🤔

Hay is just dried grass that's long strands(not short lawn grass). If you can get some longer leaf grass, that's a bit more mature, but not hard stems yet, that will probably work best. Then I would suggest to cut it up into smaller strands and just see how your rabbit does with that. Just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with any chemicals, and is relatively free of contamination from other animals(as much as possible). I would also rinse it off before chopping it up and giving to your rabbit.

Hay is just dried grass that's long strands(not short lawn grass). If you can get some longer leaf grass, that's a bit more mature, but not hard stems yet, that will probably work best. Then I would suggest to cut it up into smaller strands and just see how your rabbit does with that. Just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with any chemicals, and is relatively free of contamination from other animals(as much as possible). I would also rinse it off before chopping it up and giving to your rabbit.
Thank you sm I'll be doing that

I second what @JBun said. Smaller Bits of hay/grass are easier to chew, and therefore use less chewing. Maybe give him some lettuce or any other soft greens in moderation. Make sure that the greens you give him are safe and do not contain pesticides. :)

Latest posts

Back